Thursday, 14 July 2011

Wonderland

On Saturday it was Pete's birthday, he is now the same age as me again. I don't like that few months gap where I am older than him! I'd already bought Pete some clothes for our holiday back in May as part of his birthday present so he wasn't expecting anything from me, however I got him some surprise tickets to go see Jack Whitehall (a comedian) in November so think he was pleased!

On Saturday night we went to someone else's birthday party, it was fancy dress, Alice in Wonderland theme or wear a funny hat. I went as Alice as Tori lent me her outfit which is currently getting disinfected to return back to her. If you remember, Tori got a lung transplant last year in May and I don't want to give her any of my infections, so I am cleaning the outfit with Vanish oxi hygiene which claims to kill 99.9% of bacteria, it's in the washing machine as I speak after having a soak for an hour. Pete was boring and wore a hat or mine, he ended up looking like someone from N-Dubz haha!
Then on Sunday we went to the Lakes for a few days away, we are so lucky that we can go to the Lakes as many times as we like, within reason of course! Alfie can come with us and it doesn't really cost us anything. The Lakes will always hold a place in my heart, its where we got engaged!

The walk we went on, on Monday was too long, I over estimated myself and had strop half way as I was too tired and my lungs were on fire. The walk was on really rocky ground and it was so tiring, poor Alfie struggled at times and had to go in the bag for a rest at one point. Sadly I didn't fit in the bag and Pete had to give me a telling off when I refused to go any further. We turned back once we saw a hill we had to walk up, no way was I going up there, Norman let us down this time, the walk was poor and was not on the level! To finish the day off the pub we really like and was looking forward to going to, doesn't do food on Mondays (!) so we tried this other pub and the food was rubbish!
However Pete and I are not ones to be put off, so we tried another walk on the Tuesday, shorter and alot more friendly! I have learnt my lesson, my body and lungs will only allow me to do walks of 3 miles or lower on level, none rocky ground!

Needless to say I am exhausted now. I think overall I have spent more time sleeping this week than not, I've woken up at about 10am or later every day and slept in the car when travelling whenever possible! Even though walking totally tires me out, I like to go on walks as it reminds me that even though my body is poorly, I can still breathe and walk and although not as good as others, I'm alive and functioning! Feeling tired means I know I have tried my hardest and I've pushed myself, I suppose its a feeling of self satisfaction like someone who does a sponsored run, its my version...! In a way if I don't feel tired I feel like I'm lazy, it's my way of knowing I've done all I can for the day.

Pete has taken the rest of the week off work and today we have bought some plants for the garden and planted them. We bought a strawberry plant, I know it will probably die within a month as I have no idea what to do with it, but it will be fun to try..! I wore a mask when digging in the compost as I've read lots of bacteria are in there including cepacia which is a CFers worse nightmare from what I've heard, patients with this on their lungs aren't even allowed on the CF ward! So call me paranoid but I wore a mask left over from when we decorated.

1 comment:

Woody said...

Heh Heh, Pete looks like Dappy from NDubz. Maybe as punishment he should wear the Alice in Wonderland costume for the Great North run? Be great for sponsorship!
;-)