I'm really happy to say that yesterday my lung function was 49%, my weight 55.8kg and my oxygen saturation (sats) levels were 99%! I can't remember the last time I saw figures like that, for months and months now my sats have sat at 93-95% and that was just normal for me, sometimes getting even lower when I felt unwell. So to see them at a normal number is great and for my lung function to be almost hitting 50% is amazing. My weight is back to pre pneumonia 2011 weight, it just shows how long it can take to put that weight back on once you lose it. I have started a 10 day course of IVs which sounds stupid given the numbers, but I have felt a bit iffy the past week or so with my energy levels and I started to develop a tickly cough and chest pains so decided I wanted to have some before we start fertility treatment again, rather than possibly end up needing them half way through.
So what I have been doing differently? Well I believe the main contributor is my new nebulised antibiotic Azli, also known as Cayston, also known as nebulised Aztreonam. I had high hopes for this nebuliser as lots of people have said how amazing it is and I believe them now! At first it made me really wheezy however that went after about 10 days, it does re appear every so often though. Then I started to be able to exercise more than usual and before I knew it I was going to the gym 3 times a week and doing 40 minute sessions involving about 25 minutes cardio and the rest doing weights. I'm feeling I can really push myself at the gym at the moment and I've noticed my heart rate has decreased too, my pulse at rest is in the 80s at the moment, I pretty sure it used to be about 100. I am still very breathless when exercising however I do have less mucus which is what the physio believes has helped bring my sats up and why I think I a finding the gym less hard work.
Then I have also started having insulin with lunch and tea and although I still need to learn how many units I need and not getting it right all the time, I'm getting there slowly. I'm having 2 units with lunch and 3-5 units with tea. I'm having lots of hypos (low sugars) which is not nice, basically every time I exercise and if I have breakfast early or tea late. It's easy to say, well eat your tea earlier or have breakfast later, but that isn't always possible!
So health wise I am doing well at the moment which makes me realise how important it is to be compliant with treatment and to be involved in your CF care. I know for a fact if I worked this would not be possible, I haven't worked for about 5 years now and I'm finally starting to feel I understand my CF and know what my body needs and I'm getting the balance right of rest and treatment. Some days I am so bored and fed up, I feel so useless and pathetic that all my day consists of is CF related activities and attempting to do household chores which mostly Pete ends up finishing off anyway!
I look back to when I first joined the CF community, my health was worsening and I was facing giving up work. I made lots of friends on-line who I felt understood me better than people around me, it was also when I started to take an interest in my health and ways to improve/stabilise it, can you believe I didn't even used to wash my nebuliser equipment?!
Lots of my friends have now either had lung transplants, need lung transplants, have passed away or their health has deteriorated. People that had the same lung function and health as me are now needing lung transplants which scares me but also makes me feel proud that I have managed to avoid this so far. CF is unforgiving, I work really hard to stay stable. I'm not admired or called brave, nobody calls me an inspiration, because in order to be those things you have to push yourself to work a full time job or go above and beyond what your body is capable of and I'm not willing to do that in order to end up dead or dying like lots of people with CF do. Lots of people probably think I'm lazy or one of those scrounges you read about in paper, on benefits, didn't you know the whole country hates people like me at the moment? Sometimes I feel guilty if I go out for a meal out as the papers make me feel like I shouldn't be able to afford my electricity and gas, never mind a meal out, because I am in receipt of benefits. However then I remember my husband does work, so we are not complete scrounges...!
Having CF at my level of CF is a job in itself, I have to do a hell of a lot to stay alive, some people with CF don't, they manage to get on OK with minimal extra effort. I'm not implying that people with CF who did push themselves are in the wrong, or that everyone who needs a lung transplant brought it on themselves. It's such a fine balance between having a life and looking after yourself, nobody gets it right and even if they do sometimes there is nothing anyone can do to prevent that downward spiral, I'm sure it will happen to me eventually. I just feel lucky that so far I'm doing OKish, I have a supportive husband to help me and I'm in a situation for the time being where I can concentrate on my health and not have to run myself in to the ground with work. This might all change through if I don't qualify for ESA though and that is why I am really scared of what may happen in the next few weeks. I really wish the government and society as a whole understood long term conditions more accurately.
Friday, 12 April 2013
Glowing Report!
Labels:
advances in treatment,
Azli,
benefits,
blood sugars,
cf forum,
compliance,
death,
diabetes,
gym,
insulin,
IVs,
lung function,
lung transplant,
people on cf,
weight
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Would you add me so I can see your surro blog please? Good luck with this cycle. Erin violet.florence.ella@gmail.com
Post a Comment