Wednesday, 21 October 2009

It must be nearly winter, colds are here!

I went to Yoga as planned on Friday, I really enjoyed it although I discovered I am not very flexible and also that everyone in my class was at least 10 years older than me or more. Whilst you do the stretches etc you have to take deep breathes and we also did some meditation where you concentrate on your breathing so I hope it really helps. I have tried yoga once before, many years ago, I think I was about 16. I absolutely hated it, all I remember is there was alot of standing straight like a tree, there was none of that in this class, it was alot more productive. I told the lady about my CF at the start, basically I told her I had a port in my arm that might mean I couldn't do some of the stretches with my left arm if it involved bending it around my back etc and also if I started coughing just to ignore me (which I didn't do anyway).
I did in the changing room though and some woman started going on about my cough and that make sure I didn't give swine flu to anyone, she was really loud and everyone could hear so I put her straight. So then she was all apologetic (making me feel guilty) saying I looked at fit as a fiddle and she told me I took loads of tablets (yes I do know that) then her mate was commenting on me coming to the gym. I was like 'hello I just want to get changed and go'...! Everyone was gawping at me in the room, I was mortified!

At the weekend Pete and I went out into town for his mates birthday. It wasn't the best night for various reasons I can't go into. Then on Sunday we went to see the inlaws for a nice Sunday roast, even Alfie came with us and I was trying to use the clicker training (which he did take to) to get him to behave near our nephew. Alfie still barks at him and has to stay on his lead and now the baby is running around and loves Alfie, its difficult to keep them apart. So basically everytime Alfie didn't bark at the baby and was well behaved I clicked the clicker to tell him this was a good behaviour and gave him a treat. Eventually the clicker will become the reward itself as he will associate it with getting treats i.e. been happy and pressing a clicker is alot easier than rooting through the treats box each time he is good. Obviously you still have to give him treats sometimes, he's not stupid! If you ever did psychology at A-level/degree you will probably remember Pavlovs dogs, it's the same concept with the classical conditioning.

On Monday Pete had the day off work, he has had a cold since we came back from Thailand and he was quite bad on Monday. I tried to be as sympathetic as possible, I even slept on the sofa on Sunday night, he was snoring and breathing all funny and I couldn't exactly kick him out of bed could I? I ran him a bath, went to the chemist for him but by the afternoon my nice streak had worn off before guess who else started to feel rubbish? Yes that would be moi..! So my gym routine was already ruined although I did take Alfie for a walk so still got some exercise. I am gargling TCP twice a day and using vicks first defense but I have developed a productive cough and my throat is starting to hurt. I have my flu jab today, I'm not telling the nurse else she probably won't let me have it.

I have started on the thank you cards this week to send out to all the wedding guests, that's a job and a half! I have to cut 100 pieces of A4 in half with the smallest scissors ever as Pete broke the big ones when we were opening all the wedding presents. Then I have to write in them all and stick them into some other card, see what I mean?! I can't let Pete help me, I can't trust him to do it properly...!

2 comments:

Jess said...

Hope it doesn't go into full-on cold/flu! There's no way I'd step into a gym right now, go you! Don't get that flu shot unless you're well! Take care.

Woody said...

The yoga sounds great, I've always wanted to try it but never got round to it. HehHeh, it was good of that lady in the changing room to remind you that you took loads of tablets, otherwise you might have forgot ;-)

My Oscar is at that age where he finds dogs fascinating, I have to watch him like a hawk 'coz he likes to pull their tails; especially my brother in law's dog, she's a grumpy old lady and she really doesn't have the patience for it ;-)