Monday, 1 August 2011

Happy Yorkshire Day!

Ah smelly wee, constipation, dry itchy skin, sore, crusty eyes, wanting to sleep all the time, thrush, daily headaches and sweaty nights, that right it's IV time! One week in and the tiredness is slowly reducing after me basically hibernating for a week and the other side effects are going up now the drugs are well and truly into my body.

I fell asleep one afternoon last week and seriously I could not wake up, I was actually laid on the sofa thinking 'Gemma you need to wake up, you are covered in sweat and you need to make tea' and I tried to open my eyes and they wouldn't open, it was like they were made of lead. So I went back to sleep and tried again, and again and after about 4 attempts I finally opened them and realised I'd slept for about 4 hours. I've slept like a log every single night, even Pete's snoring hasn't bothered me, but I've woken up at 5.30am every morning which is rather convenient as I put my IVs on at around 6am. I've then slept again until about 10am.

I've got a headache every single day, mid afternoon time, in fact I'm probably due one now. I got a lovely one yesterday that only went this morning once I'd been awake an hour or so. Yes I am taking pain killers and sometimes it gets rid of it, sometimes it doesn't.

I also realised I have constipation on Saturday after thinking I was just getting fat over several days. I had stomach ache on Saturday night and then Pete said something or other about toilets and that's when I put two and two together and realised the problem! After a few movicols I'm feeling less fat now!

So yes IVs are upon me and I have one week left now of the joys they bring, then I can return to normality were my pee doesn't stink like cats wee, I can wear makeup on my eyes and I can sleep without waking in a pool of sweat.

On the plus side, the cold seems to have buggered off and I'm coughing a lot less, so objective achieved! I'm also eating like a horse (where does this saying come from? Do horses eat a lot?) which will keep the dietitian and Asda happy..!

Its Yorkshire Day today so Happy Yorkshire Day to all you lads and lasses!
Here are a few Yorkshire words for you: ginnel, lug, larking, reeks, kegs and my very own word I created 'wang', oh and apparently 'foisty' is a Yorkshire word but I think Pete is lying!



4 comments:

Gemma's mum said...

You never mentioned that ur spirits are high along with your sarcasm lol a week will fly by x

Gem said...

Have you tried 'forehead' for your headaches? If you're ok with the menthol and lavender (it's quite strong) smell then I find it really helps. Also the migraine headache strips that stick to your forehead sometimes helps a stubborn one. I hope the effects wear of soon!

xx

Woody said...

Bloody hell, hope the IVs are doing the trick, the side effects are hell!

Happy Yorkshire Day! Not being at all competitive, I have Googled Lancashire day and it's not till November 27th, by which time I will have forgotten all about it ;-)

sophie jayne said...

hi gemma :)
how are you're blood gases?
i used to fall asleep ALL the time in the day with no problems at night either and when i was awake around mid-day i'd get blinding headaches that would lead to me lieing in a ball on my bed with the quilt pulled over my head so all noise and light were drowned out.. it turned out my CO2 levels were sky high and they started me on a NIV overnight and that sorted everything out for me!
Hope the headaches settle <3