Friday, 2 March 2012

Münchausen by Internet

I am a member of a group on facebook for women with CF who are either mothers or are trying to become a mother. It's a secret group so you have to be invited to it and nobody else can see anything you have posted or that you are even in this group. Many women don't want people to know they are trying to conceive or their problems with being a mother, they express personal fears, upsets, details and anger at their difficult situations and they exchange tips and encouragement. Since people with CF can not meet up due to cross infection this group is the the only way for many to communicate with others in similar situations to themselves. It is a lovely supportive group where a person feels she can discuss anything on her mind and not be judged because everyone else on there has had similar thoughts and can give relevant and useful advice as they actually know what it's like and they know it will remain confidential.

I have found this group to be a great help when I have felt down about my own problems and I find it reassuring to read about mothers with CF coping well with parenthood and posting tips relevant to being a CF parent.

However today the administrators (who were brilliant to spot this and investigate) told us that they have had to remove two members as after much research they believe they do not even have CF and have posted lots of lies to gain attention. One of these people I had actually removed from my facebook friends list the day before as I suspected there was something strange about her. I have now gone through my facebook friends list and removed anyone I don't talk to much or know much about who claims to have CF.

It's shaken me up as that group was a safe haven to vent my frustrations and support others, to think that someone has sat there and read through posts and then made lies up for attention makes me feel vulnerable as you never know who people are online and what their intentions are. It then makes me doubt everything I do online, who knows how any people are doing this? Apparently it can be classed as some type of mental illness and I think it must be, why would you pretend to be sick?! It's horrible to think that the only way I can talk to others with CF is tainted by these people who join communities nothing to do with them and make up a whole life to try fit in. Why can't people leave these communities to support one another alone? Why do they have to ruin it by sticking their nose where is doesn't belong? I've had problems with posting things online before and I am much more careful where and what I post now. I have gone off the CFTrust forum as anyone can look at it, you don't even need log in details. I've even considered at times making this blog private because I have no idea who reads it, I try my best to not post too much confidential information on here. But on a forum that is private and on such sensitive topics, that's an all time low.

The Internet is great in some ways but it seems to attract all those strange people out there, please keep a look out for fakers!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would suggest you don't put anything of a personal nature on your blog,you already share far too much information.

Gemma's mum said...

Who are you to comment mr anonymous, get lost or say who u are!!!! This blog is very important to Gemma n doesnt need this kind of feed back from tossers like you!!!

Gemma's mum said...

This blog is intended for those who care, support and love Gemma in her fight for life, if you cannot do any one of these three things please do not comment and keep you opinions to your self !!!

Lisa x x said...

Im shocked but no surprised if that makes any sense! And fair play gemmas mum...ppl with CF need outlets like this...if they have a problem why bother reading it let alone commenting! Some people!

Anonymous said...

I have cf but am very private about it, so choose not to plaster it all over facebook. I have to say that I wouldn't be very happy if you removed me based on the fact that I don't talk about it.
Cf is a big part of my life but isn't my life. I work and have a social life so do not have the time to sit on facebook and discuss my illness.
I'm not condoning what the people on the group have done at all, in fact I think that it is sick, I'm just saying that not everyone feels the need to talk about cf day in day out

Me said...

I'm not really sure what you mean by remove you, remove you from where?

I don't know why you think because someone is part of a group or does a blog that their whole life revolves around CF. You say you don't have time to sit on your laptop and do CF related things yet here you are reading my blog, so you obviously find some benefit to it.

I too have a social life and find it insulting you suggest I do not! Not all of us are well enough to work and again its insulting to suggest I spend all day on here just because I don't.

These CF fakers were pretending to have CF and be pregnant and adopting children and posting every single day with problems, craving attention and support. I'm not really sure why you think they would be removed from a group because they did not discuss CF enough?! Also i'd like to add this group was private so there was no 'plastering' it all over facebook.

Thanks for your comment but I suggest if you don't like reading about CF as you have more important things to do then go ahead and do them rather than reading my blog!

Gemma's mum said...

Here here Gemma! X

Tori said...

How rude Anon!! Everyone has the right to speak about things as much as they want. Gemma chooses to write about CF but it's not her life and never will be!! If you don't like it then don't read it. You obviously have time to read blogs about CF so get off your high horse!

These sad random anon trolls are really starting to get to me now!!

Woody said...

Hi Gemma, your blog (and all the other CF blogs) are very important for loads of reasons:

1. Teaches people (who don't know about CF) about CF
2. Let's other people with CF know they're not alone - I wish there'd been blogs like this when I was a teenager!
3. Provides a way for PWCF to keep in touch / share info without risking cross infection
4. Provides somewhere to vent!

And much more! Don't listen to the trolls x