Well hello there!
So a little update on moi... my lung function last week was 45% and my weight is *drum roll please*..... 57kg! I swear it must be muscle I am putting on or all just on my bum which is looking bigger and bootylicious, as my waist is not getting any bigger thank goodness. Guess my strength training at the gym is doing the trick! Just call me muscle lady from now on please.... needless to say I feel quite proud of myself at the moment and may even feel a little smirk making its way on to my face.
I did start to feel run down towards the end of last week, I suspect I picked something up when I had my hospital appointment. Hospitals are the worse place for sick people to go! I started to get chest pains, coughing more, more tired and I was needing to do more insulin to keep my blood sugars down. From what I've gathered, diabetes causes a circle of sugar misery. You get high sugars because your chest infection is worsening and then the high sugars feed your infection. So I started on some Ciprofloxacin, upped my hypertonic saline and I'm starting to feel better, although I suspect I may end up having IVs but for now i'm happy to coast along (the bank holiday is coming up after all and who wants to be hooked to IVs if it can be put off?!). I'm at the in between stage: not my normal self and not ill enough to be begging for IVs just yet. I finish my last dose of Azli tonight and then it's my month off, I suspect this may be my downfall....
I only had 10 days worth of Cipro in my cupboard so asked for a prescription for four days worth to make it a two week course. Well the SHO Doctor (junior doctor) I spoke to was not happy I had started Cipro without asking anyone or telling anyone. How long have you been taking it? Who prescribed it? Is it in date? What dose are you taking? In future can you let us know so we can make a decision as how to treat you? Obviously she is new and I didn't want to be nasty, we all have to learn after all, so I was an obedient patient and answered her questions:
'I've been taking it since last Friday',
'I'm not sure who prescribed it, I get it prescribed a lot, it was in my cupboard along which lots of other medications I have as back ups',
'yes I checked the expiry date, I think I'm capable of that',
'I'm think it's the higher dose since I'm an adult and have two types of chronic Pseudomonas',
'yes in future I'll call the busy CF ward and ask to speak to a busy doctor to see if I have permission to take a tablet that they have specifically prescribed to use for this given situation so I don't have to wait for it to arrive in the post'
I didn't really say all that, like I say, they need to learn. Quickly if possible. Learn I've had CF for 28 years and know the protocol better than them or what works for me and I know how my body is feeling..... as you can tell, I'm not too keen on cocky junior doctors. Just write the prescription please.
Wednesday, 21 August 2013
Just Write the Prescription Please
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment