Monday, 2 August 2010

The Common Cold

Somehow over the weekend I have managed to develop a cold! It only dawned on my last night that it could be a cold, I already mentioned I was achy and tired last week. Then on Saturday I developed a headache which I thought was a tension headache because of the surrogacy social event. Then yesterday I realised my nose felt bunged up, not blocked as I can still breathe through it, but kind of throbbing between my eyes because it feels like there is extra mucus squeezed in up there. So I thought about it all, as my chest has being quite productive the past week and the mucus has been lighter in colour which would indicate to me its not sputum from the depths of my lungs, but more like snot (yes lovely I know!) and I have come to the conclusion I have a cold. I don't seem to get colds very often, however when I woke up this morning I am convinced its what it is. My head feels crammed and the pressure is not nice and my chest feels heavy because I'm having to think about breathing more then usual if that makes any sense.

I'm not very happy about this as it is Pete and I's trip to London next week and I don't want it to make my chest all horrible and ruin the trip. So I have called the hospital and they are writing me a prescription for some Amoxicillin which I'm going to go and collect later. This should hopefully keep me going and give my body a fighting chance! I know antibiotics don't work against viruses, however I think the reason a cold makes my chest worse is because it makes my body weaker? So the infections get stronger? So the antibiotics help me with the fight. That's my theory anyway! The doctor agreed that I probably needed some too, I probably wouldn't have bothered to call them if I wasn't going away next week.
I also started voriconazole on Sunday as its my month on again, so that should help keep the nasty fungus' in order!

The social event on Saturday was great! It's weird, because I want them to see me as well enough to look after a child so I was trying to hide my CF to some extent i.e. trying not to cough, discreetly taking my tablets, made out I work part time when in reality its not really part time atall! Not that I lied or anything, I just find it interesting how in different situations I make myself come across differently depending on the situation and what I want them to think of me! I hate it when people ask me what my job is, its not really an area I want to get into with some people I have just met! I hate the thought of people thinking that I'm either lazy or that I'm this really sick person! We all know how the media portray people who don't work and receive state benefits, it's not in a positive way!
You can read more on the social event on my surrogacy blog, it really was nice to meet others in our situation and learn more about the 'surrogacy' world. I was so tired afterwards, socialising can be such hard work, especially when its with new people so you are on your guard more. I had a kip on the way back and also when I got home!

No comments: