Wednesday, 17 November 2010

Attack of the Mould

Well the title says it all really, we have a bit of a problem!
It was discovered yesterday they behind our sofa in the living room, which is an external wall, there is damp and the wallpaper is peeling off and underneath is some lovely black mould. The wall actually had water on it, so there is defiantly a problem. My brothers friend is a builder and we are hopefully going to get him to look at it to see what needs to be done, although I'm not sure if we should contact a larger company to get a proper guarantee from them?
This also means we are going to need to redecorate at some point and I will not be able to help Pete strip the walls as it will release all the fungus spores into the air and with all my fungus issues, I'm just not risking it, even with a mask on! In fact I probably shouldn't go into the room for a few days after? Call me the over the top but it is clear my lungs like to let fungus' breed on them and it's clear they cause me a lot of problems so I'm sorry but I'm just not going to risk getting anymore. Therefore Pete is going to have to receive some help, any family members reading this, please feel free to offer...!

Ok so that's the first problem, the second is that Pete found some suits that he never wears were covered in mould last night. I can't understand this, the wardrobe looks fine and it's not on an external wall, all the other clothes seem fine too? I'm freaking out to be honest, I mean where we will find some next?!

I'm also freaking out, because anything we need doing is going to take money out of the money we have been saving up for our surrogacy fund which isn't much to start with!

Then to top all this off, our boiler hasn't started properly for the past two mornings! It comes up with a fault which has happened before and all you do do is twist two taps underneath to increase the pressure as the fault means low pressure, then it works again. But why does it keep doing it that's the question?!

Needless to say, I didn't sleep very well last night and so don't feel great today. I was awake for nearly 4 hours before I feel asleep and had to sleep on the sofa because every little noise Pete made was annoying me.

Alfie has been sick this morning so I hope that is nothing serious, he is quite often sick on a morning and I've read I should feed him more often in small amounts, but he already gets fed twice a day and if his stomach hurts he won't eat anything anyway! It is apparently acids building up, which sounds about right as natural yogurt always seem to settle his stomach to some extent. I think we are going to have to start feeding him natural yogurt on a regular basis.

Oh and I still haven't had my flu jab because my GP's are completely useless! Every time I ring they are either fully booked or have no clinics on, I have been trying since mid October! ARGH!!!!!!!!

8 comments:

Ruth Jay said...

I hope you get the mould problem sorted hun, what a nightmare.

We had a similar problem last year with the flat we were in. I had to throw shoes and bags and all sorts out cause they were covered in mould from the wardrobes which were horribly damp, but we were renting and so just moved out when they wouldn't fix it. Hopefully you'll get it sorted for a good price

I don't blame you for being cautious about your lungs, last thing you need is more fungus xx

Woody said...

Oh bugger, hope you get it sorted. You'll probably want to check there aren't leaks coming in from the walls, the guttering, and the roof. Make sure someone else does the exploring, you don't want to be around when someone's lifting wallpaper covered with black mould :-(

It's also worth remembering it may be down to condensation from within the house, so ventilate when having a shower, drying clothes on radiators, etc. Seems like a waste of heat I know, but the water vapour needs to escape before it collects.

Gemma's mum said...

Oh no! Good news yesterday and bad today!!! Nana had a problem with mould on clothes (ring her) is a bungalow thing apparently, but it needs sorting. Hope Northy can help xxx

Helen said...

a boiler loses pressure if you need to bleed the radiators. it usually means theres an air bubble in the pipes somewhere and causes boiler to lose pressure

Anonymous said...

Mould usually forms due to condensation when warm moist air hits a cold surface, if your settee is too close to the wall then air can't circulate, so the wall remains cold. With the wardrobe thing, if the wardrobe is packed with too many clothes, yet again air can't circulate. The boiler problem is common, modern boilers hold very little water and the smallest of leaks will cause the pressure to drop, have all the radiator inlets and outlets checked for a slight weeping. Hope this helps.

nan said...

yes Gemma we had the same problem. Steve put some small holes in the wall, and we have some low wattage heaters in our wardrobes. Ours was an outside wall, its a bit odd having it on an inside wall.Nan

Emmie said...

Sorry to hear about the mould - that's the last thing you need! I think you're very wise to be being really over-cautious about it. I used to volunteer at a charity shop but I gave up when they discovered loads of mould upstairs! Although they were going to get it all treated, I actually thought that stirring it up would make it worse for a period, so decided it wasn't worth the risk. Fungal spores are so microscopic you don't want any of them floating around do you?!

I so hope you don't have to take too much money out the surrogascy fund hun. If I win the lottery, you'll be first on my list for stoking up that fund - that's a promise!

Hope you sleep better tonight xxxxx

Rick said...

Very wize keeping away from it yourself if you ask me I'd do the same. Never had it so not much help, hope you get it sorted though.