Friday, 11 March 2011

The Great North Run

My laptop is driving me crazy, hence why I am blogging less these days. It is so slow that I am going on it less and less as every time I come on it, I think I get high blood pressure and there is a risk I may throw it across the room! To be honest I think it's on it's last legs, I've had it since my second year of uni so that's about 6 years and I assume one day it is just going to die on me. However I can't afford a new one and I have no idea how to try and speed it up, plus I dread having to transfer all my files across to a new computer.

In addition to this I'm not sure if this blog is really serving a purpose anymore. I get bored of talking about myself and my CF since it's pretty much the same stuff over and over again, I don't know if anyone is interested in what I have been doing in my day to day activities. Maybe blogs are so last year or I need to change the angle of it, maybe I've outgrown it. I'm not sure. Anyway, that's why I am blogging less and probably will continue to do so but I'm not giving up on this baby yet, there is alot of my life from the past few years on here and it's grown to be full of information and it's interesting to look back and see how I've changed. My life is abit dull at the moment, I feel like it's not really going anywhere, but hopefully that will change over the coming months!

So I'm still on my IV's, I will hopefully finish them on Monday. I am feeling better but still not to my normal self so that's why I say 'hopefully'. I'd rather do an extra week than end up back on them in a month! The nurse came to see me on Tuesday and my sats are back to 97% so that's a relief. One problem I've been having more than usual is my eyes, they are so sore which always happens when I'm on ceftaz. They weep and all the skin on my eyelids and around my eyes gets dry and goes red, but this time my actual eye balls have felt like they were on fire at some points. I bought some eye drops for tired eyes from boots yesterday and they seem to help, it really annoys me though as my eyes look tired and sore and it makes me look poorly which I don't like, plus I can't wear any eyeshadow or eyeliner!! Other than that the side effects have been minimal, I think taking the anti sickness tablets really helps, it just gets rid of that blugh feeling.

I had abit of a crazy day on Sunday, we had lots of things to do with family and friends which meant some careful planning to fit my IVs in! I have my ceftaz 3 times a day and it takes 45 minutes to go through, the doses have to be a minimum of 6 hours apart from when the drug finishes. Usually I do them at about 7am so they have finished for 8am, then 2pm so they finish at 3pm and then about 9pm of whenever my tobramycin has gone through as I put that on at 8pm.

However on Sunday I had to get up at 5am so they finished for 6am so then I could put my second dose on at 12 whilst we were in the car on the way to Stockport. Then I had to take my evening tob and ceftaz with me in a cooler bag (they have to be kept refrigerated) as I knew we wouldn't be setting off to come home until late and we would be in a restaurant so I couldn't start them till we were in the car on the way home. In the end we didn't leave until 9.30pm and I had forgotten to get the drugs out of the cooler bag (they have to be taken out of the fridge at least 30 minutes before you use them to warm up abit) so sat with them in between my legs for 15 minutes to warm them up, so didn't get them on until 9.45pm and those two drugs take about 2 hours in total to go through. Then on top of this I had to do my physio when we got home at about half past ten. I can see why I get annoyed when people have silly excuses for not doing things that they have arranged, some people have no idea what length others have to go to, to do 'normal' activities.

This week I haven't done much, in fact I have felt quite lonely and down. I haven't seen my best friends for ages as they are always busy and then the time I did arrange to go out with them I wasn't well enough to go out. One of them is hopefully coming around tonight to watch a DVD, I don't think I have seen her since New Years Eve, how sad is that?! I shall be telling her she is neglecting me so it doesn't happen again!

On a totally separate note, my wonderful husband is going to do the Great North Run in September. It's a half marathon which is 13 miles and he is unsurprisingly doing it for the CF Trust! He has been getting up at 6.30am and going to the gym before going to work, so I hope you can all reward him by sponsoring him, even if it's just a few pounds. I'm going to attempt to put a link at the side of my blog because I know September is quite awhile away so you all have plenty of time to sponsor when you can afford to and the link will be there winking at you to remind you!! Here's a picture of my husband to remind you how fab he is and why you should sponsor him!!

8 comments:

Woody said...

Good luck Pete! Rachel has got into the Great North run as well so we are going up to support her this year. x

Anonymous said...

Join Twitter :D seems to be the 'in thing' atm x

Ruth Jay said...

I always read, but I'm rubbish at commenting!

I'm sure Pete will do great :) It's such a blast doing an organised run, I hope he enjoys it. x

Gemma said...

I always read too, your blog was one of the first I started reading after soph was diagnosed and it has certainly served a purpose and still does for us!

It helped me get into blogger and start our blog too.

I never know whether to comment or not being a parent, not sure where the water lies as not all adults with cf want the mummies looking in :) (although I'm 'only' 29).

Your laptop sounds like it needs some stuff clearing off it, ours did similar and my dad gave it a spring clean, I can ask him if there's a few things you could try if you want? It certainly worked for ours.

Good luck to pete! X

Kerry said...

Gemma my lovely, I always read your blog! Yours was one of the first blogs I ever read (from the cf forum) and your blog is why I started to blog :)

I think it's so nice the way you don't always go on about CF, I try not to be too negative in my blogs because I think that's not what people want to read.

So it's really refreshing to read yours because it's not all negativity and it's not all about CF!

Keep blogging and I'll certainly keep reading!! :)x

Gemma's mum said...

I read it all the time Gemma but don't comment cause I'm rubbish at it. Don't stop!!!! :-) xxx

Rick said...

Hi, I always read your blog too, please don't stop blogging, it's good to read about genuinely nice people they sometimes seem like few and far between in this world. If you do start using twitter post your name on here as would like to follow you. I can help with twitter if you need any. Rick

Me said...

Hi Gemma, course I dont mind you commenting! Yes if you knwo anything I can try with my laptop that would be great! Although i'm not very good with them!
I will not be joining Twitter lol! xx