When you have CF and you are on your Ivs, or feeling unwell or anytime really, you soon come to the realisation that this doesn't change much. If people are under the illusion that family and friends offer to cook you tea, do your shopping, take you out etc like they would in a film then you are mistaken. People don't rally around to help you or to raise money for a charity, they don't feel inspired to do anything extra because of your illness and the difficulties it causes. Pete is the first person i've known since I can remember to raise money for the CF Trust. In Emmerdale last night the whole village was seeing if they could be a bone marrow donor for Sarah, I doubt this happens very much. My own husband doesn't donate blood, his choice, I can't make him and I'm not going to nag him because that would be me pressuring him to do something I wish I could do myself (I can't donate blood or anything, I've researched it). Most people I know are on the organ donation list, least that's something!
There is a part in the film 'The Beach' where a guy is taking ages to die and the main character says 'You see, in a shark attack, or any other major tragedy, I guess the important thing is to get eaten and die, in which case there's a funeral and somebody makes a speech and everybody says what a good guy you were. Or get better, in which case everyone can forget about it. Get better or die. It's the hanging around in between that really pisses people off'
I think people with long term illnesses are like this, people are supposed to die or get better. But we don't do either, we sit somewhere between, keeping going but never quite one or the other. This confuses healthy people, they don't understand it as they have never experienced it. They judge people with long term illnesses and make assumptions. He/she seems to manage OK, he/she doesn't seem that ill, he/she wants to be treated like a normal person, he/she is stronger than other people. I probably do it myself about others such as elderly people or people with children, I assume they are managing although I would try to never be judgemental about something I don't know about.
I imagine when I was first diagnosed with CF, my family were worried and anxious, eager to help out how they could. As years go on it just becomes the norm, people become complacent, one of my brothers doesn't seem to even acknowledge I have CF and if I mention it he thinks its some kind of excuse I'm using and sighs at me. I feel I have to push all the time to remind people, even my own husband who lives with me and sees how much I have to do, how tired and ill I can be, he sometimes expects me to be able to do everything I need to do, as if I have become immune to feeling exhaustion and pain over the years. Like I can push it aside and be tired when its convenient.
We went to a surrogacy social event on Saturday and stayed over 2 nights, being on my IVs made this day very stressful and non stop for me. I was exhausted on Sunday and still am to some degree, nobody even appreciates how much effort went in to me making that social event, but why should they? To them I was there just like everyone else. Why do I even want them to appreciate the effort it took? It won't make a difference to anything! I guess I feel like my achievements go un-noticed because to others they are nothing, but to me they are everything.
My eyes are so puffy and red and my headaches are clouding my mind and incapacitating me. I've asked to not be put on ceftaz again unless really required, I always say I will take it easy when on my IVs but it never seems to happen even though I don't seem to do much! Why do people always seem to ring you when you are trying to have a sleep? Why do I feel like people are calling me all the time, but the phone call is never to see how I am or if I need anything?
At the end of the day people like me are supposed to be dead, if it was survival of the fittest I'd have been gone long ago, even though I think mentally I am stronger than most. The thing is, I can do it on my own because of my strength. I can't remember the last time someone came to a hospital appointment with me because I don't need anyone to be there, I don't need someone to do my physio or tell me to do it, or do my IVs for me although Pete often offers and do you know what, its great when he does, to not feel alone in this quest for me to feel better. To know I could do it if I needed but the offer to be there to make things a little easier. My Nana pays for a lady to come and clean our house every week, its one of the best gifts anyone has every given me, not just the cleaner itself, but the recognition that I was struggling with the cleaning.
I like that I am independent most of the time, I don't want to rely on others to get me through, it's my CF and my responsibility, this makes it hard for me to ask for help and its mostly my fault as I don't ask. The thought of going in to hospital and someone else taking over my care frightens me as I know whats best for me. I like people see me as managing and getting on with life because that's my aim. I suppose I just wish that I didn't feel so lonely, CF is a hidden disease but also very lonely at times.
Friday, 28 October 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
13 comments:
I cant not tell you how much I can relate to this. I also have CF and this is exacly how I feel but I have never been able to put it into words and I have never been able to tell anyone how I feel. Thank you so much this had mad me realise that i am not alone in my feelings.
I also have to say thank you for writing this Gemma.
A lot of the time things are sugar coated and it's a good reality check for parents like myself.
It can be so disappointing when people aren't there for you especially when you are always the one on the end of a phone for others. You dont do it to get a return, you do it because you genuinely care and know more than most what matters in life.
As mum to Sophie I often feel isolated from friends who just dont want to or dont get what we live with every day. With this in mind I can only imagine what that isolation feels like when you are not just emotionally strained like me but physically too.
For what it's worth you have a lot of people online who are here for you. You are one strong lady which I guess sometimes makes you stubbourn and soldier on even though you want to just curl up!
Well written post, which has really sent my brain into thought mode.
Take care xxx
This is such a good blog hun, it totally sums up how i'm feeling at the moment. I've been on ivs since end of Sept and other than my mum I have seen one friend once thats it other than that I sit in my flat or hosp on my own. Seems the more you have to cancle when your ill the more out of the loop you become :(
Its nice to know i'm not the only one to feel like that. Your quote from the beech is so true.
Hope everything is going well with the suracosy (I know I spelt that totally wrong!) xxx
I can also relate to this, I 100% know how you feel. To my family and friends CF is just the "norm" so nobody really seems to care much about me these days.
I listen to people whinge about their colds and other silly things and it frustrates me that they don't even consider what I have to put up with all the time.
Like you, I go to hospital appointments alone, though that doesn't really bother me. When I'm stuck in hospital, isolated and bored out of my mind I don't get any visitors. It seems nobody can be bothered. It's like they think "oh she's done all this 10000 times before, she can cope." but nobody realises just how lonely I get. I hate this bloody illness.
Great blog gem. I will never forget those feelings and even now u still feel alone in stuff u went through. But know that people on line know exactly how u feel and am always here to talk although i know u have other close friends with cf x hope ur ok gem, u can do it. Xx i miss ya as ur not online as much xx lots of love x
Your right and wrong Gemma, people admire you but as iv said before don't really know what to say. I feel that I'm always interfering when I offer help. Ur a insperation to people, but I know you feel isolated and lonely but what can people do? My heart go out to you :-(
Thank you for writing this. I think people are frightened of asking/saying the wrong thing sometimes and so the easiest option is to say nothing and ignore it all which is equally unhelpful.
It's really hurtful when people just forget about you. The hardest time for me is when I'm in hospital and my friends just are so complacent about it and think that because I've been there so many times before, I'm used to it so they don't have to bother. It's so hurtful but my mum and gran make extra effort to rally round and make sure at least one of them come and visit each day even though I live 30 miles from my hospital.
You're definitely not alone feeling this way which I know is virtually no help in getting you some help and support but I hope you hold onto the fact that other people feel the same way and we're all willing to lend a listening ear.
xx
I can relate to how you feel. I used to think when I was stuck in hospital that even a card from friends and relatives might cheer me up - but when they get used to you going in and out of hospital it becomes the norm. Yet each time is still as hard. Big hugs! xx
Ah Gemma, my heart goes out to you after reading this post. So well written and you really conveyed your feelings in a great way for us all to either relate to or try to understand.
From a person without a long life serious illness, but having lived with a mum who has, i think you hit the nail on the head. You are so strong, so independent, so fiercely in control of everything, others around you may not know what to do or say or think. You have become a master at 'putting on a brave face', of making it look like it doesn't control your life, chirpy even that people are only left with the assumption that you are 'fine'.
I wouldn't know what to suggest though of this theory were to be true. Do you show your vulnerability, your true down days and have people help and possibly interfere thinking you can't cope and making you feel like a victim for want of a better word, or carry on as you are and be strong and muddle through as you are? Such a fine line for those around you i guess.
Thank you for opening my eyes though. if we lived closer i would visit or call.
xx
Great post Gemma. xxx
Gemma, I do not have C.F but my Son does. He is only 16 months old but I already feel let down by family and friends. He spent his 1st 5 months in hospital after being bron 3 months early and apart from my Mum, no one cooked for us. Not even any of my work collegues (I worked in a bloody resturant for God's sake!) I feel that everything my son does from breathing to eating to crawling is a miracle and yet apart from my husband, no one else gets it. Like u said "I guess I feel like my achievements go un-noticed because to others they are nothing, but to me they are everything." It's so true. No one rallys around to lend support or practical help. What a well written, honest blog. Thank you x x
after reading your blogg, it made me sit and think i am a mother of an 27 year daughte with cf, all through her life up until she got married i attended every hospital appt, worked 8 hours aday then still made sure i visited eveyday when she was in hospital, once she got married i had to take a step back as he husband that attended clinic and hospital with her,
i can understand the isolation that you must feel, my daughter has spoken of it many times to me, but also parents feel that isolation too, we bring you into this world to be told of your illness, each day living with the fact we never know each infection you get is she going to over come,
then the dibetic sets in,
to watch your child get sicker and sicker in front of your eyes knowing that there is nothing in this world that you can do,to stop this nasty desease,
who can we talk to, nobody understands us , as people say well you've done job job she realy healthy with it, yeah sure but in my mind "I MADE MY DAUGHTER , I GAVE MY DAUGHTER THIS "
so yes i understand your isolation , but please consider how your parents havefelt and still fell from the day that they where told of your illness
Amazing blog and explained just how I feel living with CF well done Gemma xx
Post a Comment