Today it is CF Week so I have been doing my best to try educate people about CF by posting blog posts on facebook everyday. A fair few people have looked at them (I can look how many people have viewed posts etc) so hopefully it has done some good. I'd like to arrange some kind of fundraiser one year but I'm not very good at stuff like that so wouldn't know where to start!
Yesterday I finished my IVs thank god! This course has been horrid and seemed to last forever! The headaches settled down slowly after the first week which was a massive relief but then my eyes really started playing up, so puffy, weepy and sore. I looked like some kind of drug addict with my red, baggy eyes! It got to the point where I couldn't see properly at times and I considered phoning the hospital as I wasn't sure if it was an allergic reaction, I'm sure it is but if it's not serious I tend to put up with it. Anti histamines do not help at all, neither goes putting lots of aqueous cream around them to help with the dryness. The only thing that seems to help a little is if I put some comfort eye drops in my eyes a few times a day. I think its the Tobramycin that causes it as they are worst on a night when it's going in me and the following morning.
On Wednesday I looked a right mess, my eyebrows desperately needed waxing, my hair looked shocking, puffy red eyes and to top it off I woke up with a coldsore! Grrr! I got my hair done on Wednesday, finished my IVs yesterday so my eyes are looking better already and I got my eyebrows waxed today, the only remaining problem is the coldsore! At least I am feeling back to my normal self anyway!
My fev1 was 44%, my weight is 54kg and my sats were 95% so all is looking OK!
I had a fit to fly test about 3 weeks ago and failed miserably. My sats fell to about 85% when given oxygen for 20 minutes that would be the same as on a plane. Therefore I need extra oxygen on our flight to Italy, I've never needed oxygen for a short haul flight before so I'm a bit gutted really. Luckily Thompson who we are flying with provide free oxygen (we checked when booking just in case) and the form my Doctor needed to fill in was really simple. However the letter needs to be signed no more than a month before travel so they have said they can't accept it and I need another, so annoying! I've just changed the date on the letter and will send it again in a few weeks...! I've also sorted our travel insurance, the quote I got before was no longer valid as I needed oxygen on the flight and they wouldn't cover me anymore. Luckily the broker (Gill Noble) found another company for me and I also called Insurance Choice but the brokers quote was cheaper at £185 for Pete and I, so we went for that. The joys of having an illness and going on holiday!!
Friday, 4 May 2012
CF Week
Labels:
coldsores,
flight test,
fund raising,
IVs,
lung function,
oxygen,
people on cf,
travel insurance,
weight
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Let's hope things continue to improve for your forthcoming holiday :-) xxx
Post a Comment