I finished my IV's yesterday and I think it's the first time since I can remember that I've had a smooth course of IV's and have managed to maintain a relatively normal life whilst on them!
My port hasn't itched or being sore, the only problem I had is when my needle was changed half way through, the area hurt for a day or two afterwards and towards the end, the muscle was starting to feel tender. The dressing came off yesterday and needle out and there were no lumps or bumps, weeping or crust, just abit of flaky skin and some redness from ripping off the dressing. Wahoo! So we have sorted that problem which is great!
I haven't felt particularly poorly whilst on the IV's, abit tired and groggy but nothing compared to usual. There a few things that may have contributed to this a) I have tried to stay well hydrated through drinking powerades, they also give you energy b) I have taken anti sickness tablets (ondansetron) before every dose of IVs c) I have 2gx3 a day ceftaz in the first week then upped to 3gx3 a day in the second week. Obviously there could be other factors such as what was making me require IVs in the first place, but I think the listed things have helped.
Pete said something like this the other night...
Pete: 'did they increase your IV to 3g?'
Me: 'yes why?'
Pete 'well why aren't you tired then? usually when you are on your IV's you are sleeping by now but instead you are jabbering on, I like getting the peace and quiet'
Charming...! But a perfect illustration of how much better these IVs have gone!
My weight has increased to 56kg which I am not surprised with, I can't stop eating lately, I'm going to turn into a right fattie!
So at the end of IV's my fev1 is 39% which I am disappointed with but hopefully by my next outpatients appointment it will have gone up abit more. I was hoping the hypertonic saline might have helped it increase as I've heard stories of it helping people get their lung function up by 10%!
Since I finished my IV's yesterday I have felt chesty already, sometimes I wonder if it's in my head! However I went to yoga this morning and was coughing whereas I did some more bulb planting on Wednesday and didn't cough at all. I also have gotten a headache yesterday and today and it feels like its my sinuses. It's almost like I've stopped the IVs and the mucus is building up already!
I'm going to see a scary film with my friend this evening, I watched the Grudge 3 the other night and it wasn't even that scary however when I went to the toilet in the night I saw something white out of the corner of my eye and ran back into bed! I get scared so easy, so maybe this isn't such a good idea.....
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
yay - I'm glad the iv's went better this time! I love ondasetron though - it's amazing the difference if you don't feel sick.
xxx
Ondansetron is the best invention in the whole world. Ever ;)
Glad the IVs went well, fingers crossed your lung func goes up even more :) xx
Post a Comment