Tuesday, 26 May 2009

The Lakes

Hello!

I've had a great bank holiday, Pete, Alfie and I went to the lake district!

We stayed in a B&B in Ambleside, we were supposed to stay in Pete's parents house up there but it currently has no working kitchen or heating so they kindly paid for us to stay in the B&B. We stayed for two nights and the weather was gorgeous, after last weeks rain I was worried and even went and purchased a raincoat on Friday but I didn't need it in the end!

You would think a person with cf would not want to go to the lake district as it involves walking which is not our forte but I actually quite like it. You are walking for pleasure and have all the appropriate footwear etc and you can choose a nice route with no hills which are our mortal enemies! Obviously there will be a few slopes in places but I can cope with that as long as I get to catch my breathe! Also completing a walk makes me feel quite good about myself and reminds me my body is not totally useless! On Sunday we walked for about 4 hours and did about 5 miles, which I was very proud of!! We walked along the river Esk, its a good walk, quite flat and lots to see. I felt a great sense of achievement at the end.

Because it was sunny we had the roof down in the car and spent alot of time driving around admiring the scenery, just what soft tops were made for! I think this is a sign I am getting old, when I start to appreciate scenery!

Alfie was very naughty at one point and chased after a load of sheep, Pete had to run through two fields after him, if it had just been Alfie and I, I think Alfie would had regretted his actions as there was noway I could have run that far! However Alfie made up for his blip by been very good in the hotel room regarding needing the toilet. He was like a little celebrity in the hotel as everyone kept looking at him and making squealing noises when they saw him, that's the problem with having a chihuahua, they attract attention and chihuahuas don't like getting attention, screaming people scare them. Its a problem! He shouldn't be so damn cute!

We got back last night and were all exhausted so had a nice takeaway curry for tea! On a positive note I am feeling so much better, I think the exercise and perhaps cleaner air? has helped me feel better and I'm feeling so much better than last week, I'm sure the antibiotics have helped too. Hopefully I won't need IVs afterall!! I'm so glad I had a good weekend because to be honest I was dreading it with how I was feeling last week and was thinking of suggesting we cancel but I persevered and it seems to have paid off!

Alfie having a rest! Shame I couldn't fit in there!

5 comments:

Tori said...

Look at you with 17 followers!! Maybe I should write more about my CF . . . . nah I'll leave that to you :)

Woody said...

Glad your feeling better, I think the Lake District should be on prescription :-)

Ooohh is the river Esk in Eskdale Valley? I used to go camping there back in the day, but going over hard knot pass was always pretty scary!

Me said...

yeah its in Eskdale, we started our walk at the train station

Jac said...

Alfie is soooooo cute in that backpack!!!!

Katie said...

I love the Lakes! I've been to Ambleside many times. You look like you had a great time. Well done on that big walk. I'm sure it did you good! X