Monday, 22 September 2008

My secret drugs stash let me down

Well im starting the feel abit better, the first few days of iv's are always a bi*ch! My cough seems to be calming down abit but i'm still very productive when I do my physio, perhaps even more than I was and last night there was quite alot of blood in my sputum which is worrying because that is unusual for me. Im still achey but not as much but now i've started to itch so have been taking anti histamines. The nurse called last week to see how I was doing and I told her I wasn't too good and achey and my lips felt funny. She said the colomycin makes peoples lips tingle and if I continued to feel achey to call them, she is coming out to see me tomorrow so i'll just tell her then.
On thursday night I sat down to have my pie and chips and my pot of nutrizym had run out so I went to my drugs cupboard, come on everyone with cf must have one of those, a cupboard full of tablets!? Heres a picture of mine, it has two levels. The bottom level is the stuff I use, the top level is spares, supplies etc.
So anyway I went to get another pot of nutrizym and there were none! argh! I rang my mum to see if she had some, she only had some that went off march last year. So I had my tea with the two nutrizym that were left in the pot (I should of had 4 at least). The next day I had cereal with no tablets. I called the doctors and practically begged the prescription lady to write me a prescription, she agreed but it would only be ready for 2pm. So I had lunch with no tablets, whats worse is I had a pub lunch because Pete took me out so it was a big meal. So then we got my prescription and then I had to pray the chemist had some in stock otherwise I was in for a crappy weekend (literally, haha), luckily he had one tub hidden away. Yeay! I was saved! Anyway Saturday came and lets just say that I believe the doctors when they say I need to take tablets with my food, our bathroom was one smelly room and our toilet...ask Pete I think he is traumatised. Too much information? I'm sorry, i'll say no more.

Last night we went out for a meal with my family, it was a farewell meal as my little brother is moving to university next saturday, he is going to Hull to study Geography. My other brother is now going to an only child at home! It's going to be very quiet in that big house!

I'll leave you with this funny story. My mum was explaining to one of her staff about my cf and why I need iv's etc. I was sat there at the time, listening about my mum talking about me, its quite interesting! She asked can't I get some new lungs? My mum told her that there is abit of a shortage in spare lungs and mine aren't that rubbish yet plus there are risks with getting some new lungs such as rejection. She then asked 'well can't she just go private and get some?'. Oh how we laughed, why didn't I just think of calling BUPA? Silly me!

2 comments:

Toria said...

Haha only the one cupboard you amatuear!! I have several, a hall full of oxygen tanks, all under the bed is full of stuff need I go on?! haha!!

It is such a pain when you run out of stuff it's so hard to keep track as everything runs out at different speeds and sometimes you just aren't well enough to get down to the pharamcy to drop them in. Why can't we just order them online? That would be so much easier, it's so bloody outdated all the treking back and forth.

Sorry to hear you are feeling down about feeling so useless, I think we all go through it to varying degrees, and as you know you're on IV's at the mo so stuff it particularly bad. I think it's great you are doing the voulnteer stuff that is good for getting you out and doing something constructive.

I must admit I will be glad to get back to uni even if it is only part time, just to have some structure and something to force me to get up and go out.

The baby thing is tough I remember how crushed I felt when I realized I wasn't really well enough to have a baby anymore... and even though I now have Edward and I'm very lucky I realise how hard it is espically when you are getting married it can make it all seem kind of pointless. However as others have said there are other options and dogs are less hassel than babies haha and just as cute!! So make good subsititues.

With the physio have you considered learning to do something like autogenic drainage or active cycle? It may be more successful than maual techniques and will enable you to work on very specific areas of your chest. They can also be better if your chest is irritable as you train yourself to move the sputum out with breathiing rather than coughing. I hardly ever have coughing fits anymore which is a relief and much less embaressing in public. Expect when I laugh that will always get me coughing haha!!

Keep you chin up hope your tum isn't too bad over the weekend. Stay well hun and I hope the IV's kick in soon xox

Chantelle said...

Hahaha, matt just read your blog and said sorry to me...he had such a go at me the other day coz i forgot my pills when we was out so had to miss them and did i know it when i got home. matt was not nice about it!

how much longer do you have on your i.v's? if i dont have any more i.v's till next year it will be to soon lol i have had my fair share this year.

xx