I had my flight test today, I was abit nervous because a) I didn't really know where to go and b) I was scared they would say I needed oxygen.
Turns out the thing I needed to be nervous about was actually having a bloody appointment! I asked ages ago about a flight test and was told they would book me one for June/July, I never heard anything so at my last appointment I asked about it again and someone rang me up to say she had booked me one for the 11th June. She then called back about 10 minutes later saying I already had one booked for the 20th July. I said I thought this was abit late to arrange oxygen if required, I will have alot of stuff to arrange in August so I don't want to add to the list!
I received 2 letters with both dates asking me to confirm the appointments so I called up and told a different lady that I was going to the one on the 11th. She was not happy, she had booked the other one for me and basically said I was having it too soon and why did I ask for another one? I explained noone had told me she had booked me one and it didn't leave me enough time anyway, I explained I was getting married bla bla. Anyway she said 'fine go on Thursday' and hung up on me!!!!! How rude!!
So I turned up today and they had no record of me apart from my appointment on the 20th July. The guy called the ward and spoke to the rude lady (I could tell it was her) and she denied she had anything to do with it! He didn't tell me this but I gathered it from his side of the conversation. He then spoke to the other lady who had changed it for me originally (who is very nice) and then she was passed through to someone else.
In the end they agreed they could fit me in, thank goodness!!!!
When you have a flight test they put some gel on your ear for 10 minutes and it heats up your ear so it bleeds more. They then cut it which yes it does hurt abit, and collect some blood from it, my ear bled like crazy and I got blood all down my neck and on my chest!! They put the blood in this machine, it sucks it out of the tube which is quite cool. It then gives them some numbers that I don't understand.
They then put a monitor on your finger to measure your stats and then attach you to some oxygen and you have to wear the mask for about 20 minutes. During this 20 minutes they deliver you lower %;s of oxygen as what would happen on a flight. My stats were 95% at the beginning and the lowest they dropped to were 89%.
After 20 minutes they cut your ear again and take some more blood and then remove the oxygen until your stats have returned to normal.
She said I won't need oxygen as stats falling to 85% is when they start recommending it. That's it for the test and yeay I passed!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
oh that's great news!!! One less thing to worry about :-)
Great you passed with flying colours, xxxx
Wahey! You're all set now!
Great news you passed hun, although its interesting to see the policies of different hospitals. My sats dropped to 89% at their lowest and spent a lot of the time around 91% and they said I did need oxygen as their cut-off is below 90%! I was really breathless though and struggling to breathe so I was glad when they bumped up the additional O2! xxx
Post a Comment