Wednesday, 11 November 2009

Do Not Spit in the Sink..!

Well the start of my IVs has been abit of a farce! Calea who deliver everything didn't ring me yesterday to arrange delivery. No last time this happened they called me on the actual day of delivery and said 'we are delivering to your house in an hour' and I said 'well good luck with that because I am not in!'. So yesterday I assumed this may happen again. The nurse who comes out to take your blood for tobramycin levels rang me last night so I knew I was going on tobramycin but that was it!

So today arrived and still no word from calea so I called them and they had nothing on their files about receiving a prescription from the hospital. They said they would call the hospital and get back to me. After half an hour I rang the hospital to check something was been done, the nurse was apparently running around organising things because all the prescriptions that were supposed to be faxed to calea last Friday hadn't and I wasn't the only patient calling them.

So I went to start my IVs on the ward and had to have my tob through a pump syringe which is a first for me. Here is a picture of it,
It basically pushes the drug through really slowly over an hour. The meropenem is done by hand anyway and I get that supply from the ward so that wasn't a problem. They have given me some supplies to keep me going until tomorrow so I can have my meropenem. Tob is only once a day anyway so I have had my does for today now. Calea called me whilst I was at the hospital to confirm they were delivering my tobramycin and all the other equipment, saline, hepflush, sharps bins, syrienges etc tomorrow between 11am-1pm. Well that was no good as I setting off for the wedding at 11am! So they have rearranged to deliver for 10am, I am also having my tob levels done at 10am so I am going to be very rushed tomorrow morning!

For anyone that doesn't know, when you have tobramycin they have to take your blood about 16 hours later after your first dose and then again half way through IVs to make sure the does is not too strong or not damaging you. They can't take the blood out of your port as it would read the levels wrong, so they have to take it out of a vein in your hand/arm. I also had to have blood taken out of my hand today because my damn port wouldn't bleed back!

My weight is 55kg and my fev1 was lower than last time but I didn't bother asking what is was, I guess it's now in the 30% range. I also noticed my sats were only 94-95% which is abit lower than usual.

I noticed this sign at the sink which I found quite funny. Only on a cf ward would they need to put this above sinks! I said it should tell you to swallow it, the nurse said I was gross... haha

5 comments:

Sarah said...

Hope you are feeling better soon, though if you are anything like me when starting IV's i usually feel worse before i feel better.
I started on them myself tuesday, so lets hope we are both feeling much better once they are done =)

Do you have a nurse from your clinic that does things like flush your port, take your levels etc? we do at ours and he takes the bloody from my port for Toby levels no problems, they have been doing it for a good few years like that now after doing reseach that it wasn't a problem x

Tori said...

We don't get any blood taken from our ports and tobra levels are done before IV's and then an hour after. Strange how different centres vary.

Also why can't you just push the toby through in a syringe? I just draw up 4 and a half mls and the put it in as slowly as I can.

Sophie-Anne said...

That sign should be put up in my hospital room as a new nurse spat in my sink twice on my last admission!!

Pegson said...

haha sounds like you have had the run around...im going home if i keep progressing on monday...on out and about..will revert back to neb for tobi but stay on ceftazadime through the iv over 24 hours.

Katie said...

Good luck with the IVs dude. Hope they arrive on time. Looks like you have a fan on the boards btw!