Wednesday, 23 December 2009

Signing off for Christmas

This is going to be my last blog before Christmas, So I wish you all a very Merry Christmas and hope Santa stops by your house!

On Sunday Pete and I took Alfie for a walk in the snow whilst it was still coming down, there were people having a snowball fight in the middle of town and everywhere was just covered, it was so Christmassy! Alfie doesn't mind the snow as long as he has his coat on to keep him warm, he was jumping around in it and sniffing it. Pete and I wrapped up well, I even put a pair of tights on underneath my jeans, so we were nice and warm too.

We went to a Christmas carol service at the church on Sunday afternoon, it wasn't in the actual church but at the centre next door. The church gets extremely cold and in winter they only hold the big services in there. Not many people turned up, probably due to the snow and the pianist wasn't there either! You try singing songs you don't know with no music! She turned up just in time for the Christmas songs (we sang some advent songs first) and it was nice to sing some carols. We also had some mulled wine and cakes etc. Pete and I are planning to go the afternoon service on Christmas Eve, the main service is at 11pm but we will be at my nana's party then.

We finally have our wedding album so I have been lugging that around with me (it's very heavy!). I took it to the caroling service on Sunday to show my Nana, Aunty, Cousin and others, and then I took it with me to the hospital on Monday to show as all the staff as they keep asking me about it.

The news from my hospital visit is good! My fev1 is upto 43% so that's an 12% increase in about 3 weeks, my fvc was also up about 400mls which according to the physio mean my lungs can hold just over an extra cans worth of air, that's pretty impressive! My weight is also up to 54kgs although both the dietitian and I agreed this may all be poo because I am constipated.......!! I do think I have put some on though, well I hope, to get her off my back!

So my plan of action is to come off the skandishakes until my constipation is sorted and then go back on them and only take 2 nutrizym instead of 3 or 4. I have to take 3 movicols a day to get things shifting...! If it happens again she will try me on a different calorie shake.

I told the doctor and physio I am tired of my lung function dropping every time I come off the voriconazole and then going through the motions of going on IVs, them not helping then finally going on voriconazole, so it taking weeks before I feel better. The physio explained they have to try other things first that are less toxic as they have patients in their 40-50's who are now having problems from the toxic medications and she says they plan on treating me for many decades to come (which is nice to know!). I am staying on the voriconazole for 2 more months as long as I can cope with the side effects which I said I am willing to do. We looked the side effects up and apparently messing with blood sugars is one of the side effects, also there is dizziness and vision distortion. I then have to come off the voriconazole for a month and then go back on it for a month and keep that cycle to see if it keeps me stable. I wish they could just give the fungus' a good blast and get rid if them completely but I know they can't as the fungus' have taken over too much.

On Monday night, Pete and I got stuck at the bottom of a hill after trying to go visit my Nana who wasn't even in! To rub it in a golf VW drove up the hill no problems whilst we sat there waiting for my dad to come and rescue us. My dad drove the car and Pete pushed and got it up fine, so when we went back later we just parked at the top of the hill and walked down, it was not much fun walking back up but I lived...!

2 comments:

Jess said...

Hate when all that mucus messes with all GI too. UGH! Thank you for supporting me with all your comments the last few days, I look forward to hearing from you, Merry Christmas dear!!

Megan said...

Hills are evil.

Great news about your LF though! Hope you have a fabby christmas :D Xx