Wednesday, 2 December 2009

Not Happy!

I finished my IVs today, I feel so free!!! No more having to get up just to do the morning dose, no more itchy port that drives me crazy! I can have a shower tomorrow, I can let water flow over me all and not have to worry about my stupid needle! You don't know how much I have been fantasizing over itching the damn port! I think it went manky because I cleaned it last week with a steret thingy and I think I might be allergic to them... It went downhill from there but since then it seems to have healed quite abit and gone all flaky which I enjoyed itching off this afternoon, you can't imagine the pleasure! Pete claims I was itching it in my sleep, I pretended to have no recollection of this, I did really...! hehe!

So my weight is now 53.3 kg and my lung function is fev1 31% fvc 44% so even lower! ARGHHHHHHHHH!!! I am so mad at my stupid body! Apparently my infection levels are not even high, my crp from my last bloods was 7 which is low! All this leads to the conclusion that this is not a bacterial problem but a fungal one. So hey presto I am back on voriconazole and have to go back on the 21st December to see how I am doing. I feel like I can't blow the air out of my lungs, its there but can't get out, like I'm blowing through a straw. The physio mentioned doing some extra lung function tests to look at things in more detail, I don't know if she mentioned it to the doctor. I feel like whatever I do isn't good enough for my stupid lungs, what do they want from me?! I try my hardest to do everything I need to do to stay well and it just doesn't help, sometimes I feel like giving up because nothing is good enough.

Pete and I have seen a bungalow we really like, we are having a second viewing on Sunday. Its a dormer bungalow with one bedroom downstairs and two upstairs. If we get our own place with a mortgage I am going to feel very grown up! We will see how it goes anyway, might not even be able to afford it!

I did my first lot of Christmas shopping on Monday, I can't last long, I think I managed about an hour and a half. I got a fair few bits, it's a start anyway!

6 comments:

Tori said...

I want a shower sooooo bad it's not even funny!!!

I've got half of your christmas present and as soon as I get the other half I'm posting it to you but no opening before Christmas xx

Jess said...

Sometimes I feel like giving up too when our bodies keep doing crap to contradict our therapies! Hope your lungs open up a bit, maybe you should try a steroid burst too? Good luck with the house viewing!

Kerry said...

Don't think you know me, but I found your blog on the CF forum.
I have just had the exact same thing happen to me! I started my IV's 4 weeks ago, lung function was 40% but I was going on holiday so had a top-up. After 2 weeks in hospital on Merepenom (sp?) and Tobramycin IV's my lung function had dropped to 33% regardless I felt better than I had in a long time! So I stopped IV's went on holiday and had no problems ! It is so frustrating when you don't see an improvement, even worse when your numbers get lower!
I hope you feel much better soon :)
x

Woody said...

I'm sorry your LF is still low, that sucks. I guess on the bright side the 3 weeks of IVs have really stomped on the pseudo if your CRP is low. Now with the Voriconazole you should hopefully see a big imperovement.

I had a similar thing when I had the aspergillus ABPA reaction a couple of times in the last 10 years; both times I had IVs and my LF didn't improve.

The thing that worked for me was steroids (Pred) and anti fungal Itraconazole. I had Itraconazole long term and it didn't have any side effects, maybe you could take that as a basal medication when you're off Vori?

Me said...

My team seem so reluctant to use steroids, I think that is what they will do next if things don't improve. I've asked about itraconazole several times but they don't seem to think it would help, maybe its because it's not aspergillus but different fungus'?

Woody said...

My team are the opposite; they seem to prescribe steroids first and ask questions later! They start off with a high initial dose (10-15mg) for about a week and they then step it down slowly to a really small dose (1mg)

From what I know Voriconazole is a much stronger and more effective drug than Itraconazole but they both work in the same way.