I volunteer for the charity Scope and the project I am involved in recruits and trains volunteers who have lived with experience of disability, to mentor people who have a disability, learning difficulty or long term health condition to achieve their personal goals.

So far I have been matched with 4 people (called mentees) over the years and what we do depends on what their goal is. It can be difficult at times (Clare the development worker will agree with me on that!) but quite rewarding at times. Plus I feel I have learnt alot about other forms of disability and made some friends along the way. Because I don't work in this area anymore, I find it helps me to still feel useful and put my skills to some use!
I'd highly recommend anyone to look into voluntary work if they don't work and need some direction in their life. Voluntary work is alot more flexible than a job and there is not as much pressure. I only do a few hours a month if that, it just depends on what's going on!
2 comments:
That's really worth while.., I'd like to do something like that myself.Rick
That's great Gemma! I've thought about getting involved on campus with the Disability Services
Post a Comment