Thursday, 7 October 2010

Blood Sugars and Bones

Last night we had a meeting with a lady from Surrogacy UK, this was the final thing we needed to do before becoming members. It went really well and she was really nice and we should hopefully be members by next week!
The meeting was in Preston at about 7pm so I had to do my physio in the car which was a pain but needs must and all that. I did my pulmozyme on the way there and then my saline and physio on the way back, then did my tobi when we got home. I just made sure I had bags to put the neb chambers in once used, as the excess liquid spills out of them and gets everywhere! I also took a lid for my sputum pot, best to be safe in a car, you don't want a code green situation on your new cars seats! When we drove back it was dark so at least passerbys weren't looking at me thinking 'what the heck?!'. Pete was driving I must point out, I can multi task but driving and doing nebs and physio at the same time is taking it abit too far....

Don't be mistaken that my regime dilemma was sorted... Of course not! I had a glucose tolerance test today which meant I had to fast from 9pm last night, well we were still sat in the lady's house at 8.30pm and I hadn't had any tea because I left home at 4.15pm to collect Pete from work and then head to Preston. So we left just after 8.30pm and were going to get something from a service station which I wasn't too happy with since it would be my last form of food or drink (apart from water) for 14 hours. We pulled into this pub at about 8.40pm that served food and they had a carvery on, so it was self serve, wahoo! Talk about luck!

So I had the damn glucose tolerance test, it's one of the tests I dread. I laid in bed last night remembering the taste of the stuff you have to drink and it was making me feel sick. You have to get there for 9am, then the horrible drink has to be drunk within 5 minutes, the nurse watched me as I told her I was going to pour it down the sink and she didn't trust me. Then you wait an hour. Have your blood taken. Wait another hour. Have your blood taken. Then you can eat! This test is to see if you have developed CF related diabetes, the drink is basically glucose I think, then they are taking your blood to see if your body can cope with it.

My bone scan results were okish, they are worse than last year but better than the first scan I had when they put me on medication to help strengthen my bones. Apparently anything above -1 is normal and I'm at -1.6, on my first scan is was -2.2 and last year it was about -1.4 (I cant remember the exact numbers). I have osteopenia, so it's lower than normal but not osteoporosis which is under -2.5 according to Wikipedia.


My lung function is 42%, so higher than when I finished my IV's, and my weight is 54.55kg. So the doctor is happy with me, he thinks I over did it and that's why I have felt tired and weak. I must admit I am feeling better this week, so all the signs are it was nothing serious. Yay! Had a port flush and was good to go, came home and scoffed my face because I was sooo hungry! :o)

2 comments:

Rick said...

Can't think of a better find than a carvery after 14hrs of not eating.. Here's a question which is probably a stupid one.. do you always need someone else to do your physio?

Me said...

Hey Rick, it's not a stupid question! I can do my physio on my own with just the pep mask and I can even pat myself but only the lower of my chest. If I do the uppers of my chest I need someone else to do it because I can't reach! And my uppers tend to need doing more! But I do get Pete to help me alot as it's easier xx