Wednesday, 24 September 2008

half way through iv's, yeay!

The nurse came out to see me yesterday, they always see me half way through my iv's to check up on me and change the port needle. She brings a big tool box with her full of all the stuff she needs. She did my weight (56.3kg), temperature, oximeter (96%) and then asked me some questions such as side effects im having etc. I had done her a sputum sample that morning to take back with her to give to the physio to continue being experimented on. I told her about the blood in my sputum, she said if I cough up more than a teaspoon of blood I should ring them, I haven't coughed any up since, so it's ok for now. She then took some bloods from my port needle and then took the needle out. When the needle is removed I have to push the heparin in as she pulls the needle out, this creates positive pressure and should stop blood coming back into the line so prevent clotting, something like that anyway. Anyway the end is result is, im pushing stuff in, the needle comes out, I spray heparin all over myself. She found it quite difficult to get the needle out, suppose its better than finding it difficult to get it in! Heres a picture of the needle, its abit bent which it is supposed to be, this helps it stay in better (abit too much sometimes!). She then cleans the area and puts another one in. The reason the needle is changed weekly is to help prevent infection, personally i think they secretly like inflicting pain upon me!
Poor Alfie had to be locked away in the hall whilst she was here, he was whimpering bless him. I didnt close the door on him, I pulled my physio table across the doorway (on its side) so he could still see me, physio tables can be very handy and be used for many different purposes!

Today I went to collect my prescription from my gps and went to the chemist (is it that time of the month again already..?). When I arrived at the chemist it was nice and empty. I usually drop the prescription off and collect it the next day so that they can order things in they dont have etc but i'm running low on alot of things so I said I would take with me whatever they had today. Then people started coming in and all 3 members of staff were doing my prescription, people kept coming in and there were 10 people waiting including me. Everyone was waiting for about 15-20 minutes, the pharmacist even asked one woman if she could come back to collect it tomorrow as they were very busy. Finally my prescription was ready and they handed it all to me in big carrier bag, I could feel everyone giving me evils as I left..... It's not my fault!

I came home and sorted out my drugs cupboard as it is very unorganised, ive got all kinds of stuff in there like steroids from last year (for my cf of course, not body building) and about 20 ventolin inhalers. I kept the steroids (maybe i'll sell them on ebay..... just kidding!) but chucked some of the inhalers because they were out of date or on their way. Its all tidy now, see how long it stays like that!

I was supposed to be going out for a drink with 2 mates tonight. They have both cancelled on me because they are ill! Makes a refreshing change me not doing the cancelling! One of them has epilepsy and thinks she might be heading towards having a fit. I said we would look a right pair in the pub, me with a needle in my arm and her fitting! The other friend has some kind of stomach bug and has been vomiting all day, so probably best I don't go near her! So I think i'll let them both off for having valid reasons!

1 comment:

Mc Clarey said...

One more week to go!!! WOOOOOHOOOOO :D ! ! ! (fingers crossed)

do u have msn?