Monday, 17 November 2008

Good, no GREAT news!!

Well clinic was an interesting one today, when I got there it seemed very busy and I was asked if I could go wait in my car as there were no rooms for me to sit in! So I was sat in my car and luckily I was sat right outside the entrance so i could see all the people coming and going. I was trying to identify who looked like they could be a cf patient or not to see who was leaving and going in. I identified people with cf were people a) on their own b) very skinny c) quite short d) coughing. The other outpatients clinic there is mainly for old people it seems so if it was a young person with an old person, i decided they did not have cf unless they looked cfish. Anyway this was an interesting game to play for the first half an hour, then I got bored. Here is my angry face
Eventually after an hour (yes an hour!) the nurse came out and told me I was next in line and after 5 minutes she came to get me. I then sat in reception for about 15 minutes (alone as only one cfer can sit in reception at a time) then I finally got a room to sit in. Anyway, this is more evidence that cross infection sucks!

Got my weight done which was 56.8kg and the oximeter which was 98%. I saw the dietitian, she didn't really have much to say since I'm perfect and am never underweight... :o). I then saw the physio to do my lung function. So I did it and he says 'I'm just going to check the machine cos it says your getting 51% which is very high for you'. I'm like 'ohhhh ok' with a big smile on my face. So he checks it and I do it again and I get 52%!! And the machine is definitely not broken! Whoope!! My lung function has gone up by 10% in a month!! This is like the highest it's been in like forever. The doctor was very impressed and asked me what my secret was and I told him I had been doing my physio twice a day and been going to the gym and he says it just shows how much of a difference it makes. I'm staying on the voriconazole for another 2 months as that is probably helping too. I can't believe it, I was hoping it was maybe 45%, but 52% is amazing! I feel like I can now achieve 60%, I'm so so happy, I can't stop smiling!!! It's so good because I've done it myself, not through iv's and stuff, ok the voriconazole has helped but I think alot of it is in my control and it's so good to know. Heres goodbye to crappy 2008 and all my iv's and low lung function and hello to 2009 which is going to be great, I'm going to make sure of it!

The doctors only concern is the pains in my chest I keep getting as I keep getting them on a daily basis but they are not too bad and don't really bother me. He says if I keep getting them to call him before my next appointment as that's not until January ,and I'll have an xray and maybe a ct scan if needed.

9 comments:

Jo said...

oh wow tha's fab about your lung function well done :) and with your weight. I do have to say not all cf's are short i'm tall lol 5'7 :D xxx

Lizzie Swims said...

That is SOOO fantastic!
I remember the feeling i had when i finally cracked a FEV1 barrier i'd been hunting for ages. Better than bad sex. Woop. Well done you. Keep going, you're only 8% away from 60%! Woop woop.
Lizzie xxxx

Joe said...

thats well good gemma!
really happy for you!

Tori said...

Woohooooooo!!! Thats fab news xx

Jac said...

Fantastic news!!!!! Just goes to show that we do have some control, which is a great feeling :-)
xx

Woody said...

Heh, well done!

Woah, Your angry face is a bit a scary, do you use that when you run into bitchy girls in Wakefield clubs ;-)

Jen said...

great news :) xx

Me said...

Woody, I am one of the bitchy girls.....hehe

Anonymous said...

Thats great Gemma :D hard work paying off!