Wednesday, 27 January 2010

Cat Wee!

Started my IVs yesterday. I was supposed to be going on colomycin and aztreonam, however because so many patients have started IVs this month the drug company, Calea have run out of aztreonam. Seriously! So I had a choice of either going on meropenem which I hate as it makes me feel like I am dying or ceftazidime which I haven't had for at least five years as it gives me headaches. I went for the ceftaz, I am having 2g three times a day rather than 3g twice a day which is the usual dose they give. Hopefully I won't get headaches!

Calea decided that because they had run out of azteonam they wouldn't tell the hospital and just provide me with colomycin. So when they called and confirmed the order to me, I asked them where the aztreonam was! Anyway the hospital then couldn't order the ceftaz until the day after as there is a cut off time, so I had a delivery of everything minus the ceftaz yesterday and then had a delivery of ceftaz today. This meant when I started my IVs yesterday I had to have the ceftaz dose as a bolus injection (through a syringe manually). I also had to have my first two doses at the hospital because I haven't had it for such a long time, incase of any reactions. Therefore I had the joy of making a trip there at 9pm last night.

Also I'd like to point out that I had forgotten how much ceftaz stinks. Have you ever smelt cat wee? That is how ceftaz smells, it is rank. It makes your wee smell the same and also it seems to even make your sweat smell of it! When I was doing my first dose, I swear I could taste it in my mouth! So if any of you see me in the next 2 weeks and I smell, you will know why!

Today has been joyful so far, colomycin is affecting my balance and concentration, hopefully it will wear off after a few days. I'm finding it difficult to type and pick stuff up etc, I've cancelled going shopping with my mum as I don't fancy walking around in a floaty kind of way, plus I am feeling sorry for myself and that affects your energy, infact I can't be bothered to do anything. I might try to go the the gym later, will see how it goes...

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I always have 2g ceftazadime 3 times a day and I always get headaches but they are bearable, I prefer to have a ceftaz headache rather than evil mero side effects. You CAN taste ceftaz in the back of your throat, I always do but only with the first dose!
Hope the IVs kick in soon and you start to feel better. Hugs. xx
Jax

Woody said...

I always have Ceftazadine bolus, 3grams twice a day. it's not pleasant but I think it's one of the best antibiotics out there.

hope it does the trick! xxx

Tori said...

I was told that the Tementin drug I was on smells worse than ceftaz. I didn't know that was even possible!!!

Megan said...

I know the colo side effects way too well. Whilst you might feel all messed up and floaty, other people find it amusing that you seem drunk, lol Xx

Gemma's mum said...

The joys of IV's, I will remember to take a peg to work with me on Saturday.............

Jess said...

As soon as I saw "cat wee" I thought ceftazidime! Haha. Everyone pre and post transplant wears masks, it's a bit risky but there were no other CFers there. Hope these drugs do the trick without all the bad side effects!

Kate said...

oh I know that one... I'm on it at the moment and I'm driving myself mental with the smell of it and making sure I don't spill a drop when making it up, urgh!

Jac said...

Only good thing is that if you haven't had cef for 5 years it might work super well! I had a break from cef for ages as it stopped working for me...then when back to it I responded really well :-)

Hope you are feeling better soon, hugs
x

Mc Clarey said...

I'm allergic to ceft, which is good given how massively clumsy I am!

Hope you feel better soon, i'm just in my 3rd week of aztreonam and tobi and I'm really clumsy and wobbley at the moment, doesn't normally happen on those ivs!

Don't push yourself too hard at the gym :)

xx

Manda said...

my nose itches when I do ceftaz for the first couple of doses, I sneeze like a maniac lol and the smell ;) woah it stinks to high heaven lol