Monday, 11 January 2010

Compliance over the Christmas period!

Over Christmas and New Year I didn't miss any treatments, physio etc. I haven't included tablets in this as I find them quite easy, I just take them sometime in the morning and then before I go to bed. Regardless of how drunk or tired I am. So here's how I did my physio and nebs:

Christmas Eve - We went to church at 4pm and then were getting picked up for my Nana's party between 5-6pm. So as soon as I got home from church I did my evening physio and pulmozyme. I then did my evening tobi when I got home from my Nana's, doing your tobi when drunk makes it much more fun.....

Christmas Day - We had to be at my dad's for 10.30am so we got up at quarter to 8 to make sure we had time to open presents, get ready and for me to do my physio and tobi neb. Then when we went to my mums and I took my physio and neb stuff along with me. We didn't finish out Christmas dinner until about 5pm and then wanted to get to my aunties. I had to wait awhile to let my food settle, then did my physio and pulmozyme neb whilst everyone else was playing on band hero. I was really jealous they were having fun and I was stuck doing my stupid physio, but needs must and all that! Then we had to wait an hour for me to do my tobi (if done within an hour of pulmozyme, the tobi stops the pulmozyme working). This meant we were late to my aunties but least it meant I got my treatments done.

Boxing Day - This was quite difficult to plan. We went for chinese at 5pm and then went to my aunties afterwards. This meant I could not do my evening physio before we left as it would have been too early, I would have had to do it about 3pm! So what I did is do my pulmozyme at home and then took my physio stuff and tobi with me in the car. I figured the tobi was OK in the boot of the car as it was at least 0 degrees outside so cool enough to not be in the fridge! Once we got to me aunties I put the tobi in her fridge (could have left it in the car though). After about an hour of been there, Pete and I went upstairs and I did my physio in one of the bedrooms and my tobi neb. I didn't wash all the stuff, I planned to wash it when I got home. Pete didn't have to go upstairs with me, but it's nice to have some company when you are going to be there for about 20-30 minutes!

We got a taxi home and I left my stuff in the taxi! Panic! I didn't realise when we first got in and was putting other stuff in the steriliser then wondered where my acapella and tobi chamber was. Luckily the taxi firm decided it wasn't worth keeping and Pete went to pick it up the next day. Phew!!!

Visiting the In laws - The Thursday-Friday between Christmas Day and New Years Day we went to see Pete's family and stayed over. With regards to tablets I just take what I will need in one pot, I know what all my tablets are and don't need to split them in to days. I know what I take and when. I did my morning physio and tobi neb before we left and then I did my evening physio and pulmozyme neb in a separate room. Pete came with me for some company again. Again I put my pulmozyme and tobi in the boot whilst we drove over, to keep it cool and then it went in their fridge. Pete got me a clean towel from the cupboard to put everything on to dry once I had washed it. I then did my evening tobi neb whilst we were watching a film, I'm not bothered about doing my nebs infront of Petes family.
The next morning I did my physio and tobi neb in the bedroom we stayed in after we'd had breakfast, and then we were home for my evening physio which I did earlier than usual because it was New Years Eve.

New Years Eve and Day - New Years Eve I just did my physio and pulmozyme abit earlier than usual then I did my tobi when we came home that night. Again, I was very drunk and surprised I even managed to put it together. I was shortly sick afterwards so not sure if the tobi neb contributed to this, however I think the alcohol was the most likely culprit...!
On New Years Day I did my morning physio in our bedroom as my friend and Pete's friend had stayed over and I don't like doing it infront of them. I knew they could hear me, but as long as they don't see me I'm not bothered! I did my tobi neb infront of them, that doesn't bother me.

So you see, all it requires is abit of planning and some will power! I'll continue to go through days as they occur when it's more difficult than usual to be compliant, for example when we go on holiday, social activies interfere etc.

3 comments:

Jen said...

'doing your tobi when you're drunk makes it much more fun'

hehe classic, they should put that on the box :)

Woody said...

Don't know how you managed to do all your nebs over Christmas, so well done!

It's the lack of routine at xmas that throws me, I always managed to do 2/3 of my nebs, just somtimes missed that 3rd neb in the morning or evening. That's all gonna change when I go back on Tobi next month...

Tinypoppet said...

Your compliance related blogs are fab Gemma. You should be so proud of your dedication! Lack of routine always throws me too and most of my Cyclosporin (immunosupressant) doses were late! Thanks for sharing x