Thursday, 14 January 2010

Murder by Yoga

I'm quite fed up at the moment, I don't seem to have much to do!
I love the snow but it means I can't take Alfie out, even if I do its a 15 minute job just around town so not very scenic or peaceful. I might actually try go somewhere today because it's abit warmer, about 1-2 degrees now whereas the past week or so its been freezing or below. No matter how many layers I put on I still seem to feel cold! Alfie also gets cold even with his coat on, he needs some boots or something!! So we have mainly been hibernating and watching my Tudors dvds that I got for Christmas.

The purchase of the property is moving on now, the mortgage guy has told us we have the mortgage subject to the valuation etc so that's good. Apparently they need to manually check it because of my benefits but he doesn't think this will cause a problem, lets hope so!! I have been eying things up in shops I want like curtains and rugs, just need to save some money up! Which leads onto he fact I am trying not to spend any money so I can save up, hence why I am also bored!

I had to fill in a tax returns form because I work at my mums barber shop each week (I am classed as self employed). I could swear the advert says tax doesn't have to taxing. Well since I couldn't log into the damn thing, that made it more difficult! I phoned them up and ended up getting very annoyed with the 'helpline' man as he was not very helpful atall and keep asking me why stuff wouldn't be working, why would I know?! That's why I am ringing him! After having a go at him he actually started to be abit more helpful and we established I had locked my self out, but rather than telling me this it was telling me I didn't exist! Stupid thing.

I eventually got in and filled it in, I also have to put in my incapacity benefit as it can be taxed (but the first 28 weeks don't get taxed), I don't think from reading the booklet that disability living allowance is taxable. Anyway, if I have filled it in right which I highly doubt I have done, then they owe me some money. Bonus!

I swear the woman at Yoga is trying to kill me. I've started going on a Monday instead and I think the other people may be more advanced because it seems to be more fast paced and it makes me get so out of breath! She gets us to breathe in and out really slowly over a few seconds whilst doing the yoga positions, seriously she is trying to kill me! I also ache the day after, I do not think I am very flexible! It's all good for me but hard work. She taught us last week a way to breathe to try get air into all parts of our lungs, she said it helps increase lung capacity. Bing! My ears pricked up! Basically the three parts of your lungs each need to be focused on, so you breath into your lower lungs first for 1 second, then your middle for 1 second then upper for 1 second. She taught us how to feel our chest so we know we are getting the right parts. Then when you breathe out you do the same, breathe out of lower first for one second, then middle then upper. Then you increase the seconds if you can. In the class she had us going up to 3 seconds per section of the lung, I sometimes managed 2 seconds per section of the lung (so 6 seconds breathing in) if I was lucky!
I decided to try this when doing my acapella, it doesn't work when doing it breathing out however it does work when breathing in, it seems to make sure it gets air to all of your lungs before you blow out. I seem to be shifting more mucus anyway!

I am actually very mad at the gym I go to. When I went on Monday to the yoga all the disabled spaces were taken. There are maybe 30 or more disabled spaces so you would think I would get one! But no they were all full so I had to park by the entrance (the drop off point) as I refused to park at the back of the carpark. I complained to the lady at reception and queried if anyone checked as most of the cars I saw had no disabled sticker. She said 'well it's because of the snow and ice, people want to park closer', can you believe that?! She was actually saying it was OK to do! I told her that I was actually disabled and couldn't find a space and when it snows, people who are disabled need the spaces even more and don't just disappear for others convenience! She said she would have a word with the manager but I doubt she did so I'm going to make a proper complaint as I don't think it's acceptable. They should be clearing the carpark so this doesn't happen and also put signs up reminding people that snow doesn't make them disabled! Or/And get someone to give out the fines they 'claim' to give out if you park in a disabled space without a sticker.

5 comments:

Joyo said...

Hi, I just randomly ended up on your blog and couldn't resist reading a post titled "murder by yoga".

I too have CF, and I too do yoga. I can't tell you that one specific breathing exercise has improved my lung function, but my lung function has improved. It was steadily going downward when I started yoga, and maybe 5-6 month after it had gone up for the first time in years. I have also increased my rib cage flexibility and I think that has helped, at least I think it makes it easier to breathe because I don't have to fight the stiffness as much. My physio was actually pretty surprised when she measured my ribcage and saw how much the flexibility has increased.

I just wanted to share that. I'm not saying that yoga is the magic answer to everyone, but for me it has really worked.

Also, that's really annoying about the disable spaces. Not acceptable at all.

Me said...

Thanks joyo. Hope you're well! x

Megan said...

Ohh the tudors? Is that the series that was on BBC? Cuz I'm quite fond of Henry Cavill myself! :P

I've done yoga on the wii fit, and it tells you to do deep breathing. The annoying thing is, one breath from me takes half the time that the stupid thing expects you to be able to breathe for. I often call the stupid wii instructor a show off for that. Xx

Jac said...

Sounds like your yoga teacher is doing some autogenic drainage physio!

xx

Me said...

Well I only have the best yoga teacher :o)