Monday, 25 January 2010
Heading Towards a Bad Place
I'm feeling really down today. The past week I've started feeling rubbish again, tired, aching, getting breathless easily, chest pains and sleeping in quite late. I had outpatients today and my lung function is back down at 36%, my weight is up abit at 54.5kg. So I am starting IV's tomorrow, this means I will be on IVs for my birthday and my night out I had planned.
I'm just sick of everything to be honest, I feel like no matter how hard I try it doesn't help. I'm seriously considering cancelling my gym membership, I feel the money could be used elsewhere and it's not like it seems to be helping.
It's like I never get a break, it's just one thing after another. My constipation is becoming an issue again and yesterday evening I had really bad pains just under my chest, I seriously felt like I was dying. I think it was trapped wind so nothing serious but it was so painful, I couldn't even stand up straight.
Petes parents came over yesterday and I cooked a Sunday lunch, after they left I felt so tired, my whole body ached and I just had no energy whatsoever. It was a real push to force myself to do my physio, to be honest I don't think I put that much effort into it. My point is, a normal person wouldn't be this knackered after cooking a Sunday lunch and having some guests over would they? I hate it, why can't I just be normal for awhile?
I even got mad at Coronation street the other day. For those of you that don't watch it (its a soap to you non Uk people reading this), Sally Webster got breast cancer. She had to have a lump removed and then was told she was going to be fine apart from needing some tablets and radiation I think they said. So basically she had about 5 weeks of worry, an operation and as far as we know is going to be fine, she didn't even feel ill because they caught it early. Then all they keep going on about is that she deserves a holiday and is brave, deserves a break bla bla. I know its not real, but this is how people think.
What about people like me and others with continuous, long-term illnesses? Where is our break? We put up with sh!t like that all the time, there is no break for us, no good news, no holiday to celebrate. Our lives are a constant worry. I'm not saying cancer isn't terrible, of course it is terrible and I feel guilty for even having these thoughts, I'd never wish it upon anyone. However it's always cancer that gets the limelight, if someone gets cancer its horrible, lets find a cure for cancer, raise awareness for cancer, be nice to people with cancer, set up charities for them. I heard on the radio the other day that a local charity had been set up to help cancer survivors get on with normal life. I wish I could survive CF and have someone help me get on with a normal life. No wait, just a normal life would be a start...
I don't like been this person I become when I'm feeling rough, and I feel terrible for complaining as there are loads of people more unhealthy than me. But perhaps there are even more that are healthier?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
14 comments:
I'm sorry you're feeling so rough, I think you're probably entitled to a break from CF right now! Maybe the docs could prescribe you steroids with the IVs to cancel out the effects of the aspergillus?
I had a similar conversation with my misses about Cancer on the weekend, sure it's a horrible disease but it's has to be the most supported charity, there a lots of other illnesses that don't get the publicity.
xxx
oh hun, so annoying for you to be back on ivs, don't feel guilty for thinking that way, everyone needs to let off some steam once in a while and you're right we never get a break. Don't cancel your gym membership just yet, this is a rough patch but hopefully these ivs will kick in and in a few weeks you will be feelig brighter. chin up - you're a tough cookie x
Gem Gem hugs xx
I feel the same way about cancer. Whenever you watch those celebrity quiz shows and stuff they're always doing it for some cancer charity. I'm actually shocked when they say something non cancer related!!
Woody's right maybe speak to them about getting you on some steroids while you're on IV's, they help me a lot!!
You're feeling rough so I'll let you off with all the negativity but once your feeling better I want that positive Gemma back. Love you xx
Complain away, it definitley helps. Hope you're feeling better soon hun Xx
I carnt even reply to this gemma, other than I u understand and feel exactly the same, it used to infuriate me on ward 12 when all the cellebs came to the cancer ward n ignored urs, how I kept quiet I don't know .......don't cancel the gym, summer is on it's way, although u could ask for a 3 month break cause of illness n then restart when the better weather comes (just a thought), chat later, cheer up darling xxxx
I'm sorry to hear you're feeling like this.
I agree totally with the cancer and other "main stream" diseases that get lots of attention just seems so unfair at times.
Please don't cancel your gym membership. Whilst you may not feel like it's doing much i'm sure it is, even if it's just keeping you where you are.
Big hugs
xxxxxxxxx
You have the right to complain! I'm sorry you're feeling bad, don't give up on the gym yet. Just take it easy for a few days, have your hubby cook some meals, and enjoy your doggie. Dog therapy is the best!
Totally agree with u mate. Hope u pick up soon - as i said on facebook - give those lungs a smack xx luvya lots xx
Gemma, big hugs to you. I am sure things will get better as the weather improves. Don't give up with the gym as your past posts have shown you can enjoy yourself there.
Lots of love K x
Cancer affects everyone. CF doesn't. That's why it's a no brainer on the popularity contest front.
Thanks anonmymous for that insightful comment...
Cancer may affect more people, but CF is still the most common, life threatening inherited disease yet barely gets any attention.
Also the point I was making is not that its a popularity contest but that CF will eventually kill everyone of its sufferers, cancer will not. People with cancer can recover and go on to lead perfectly normal lives, people with CF cannot. People with CF go through more in a life time than many cancer sufferers (my example was the storyline of Sally in a soap) but get little or no support in comparison.
As you can see from my post I am having a hardtime at the moment and pointless comments such as yours don't help. Bet if I had cancer you would be nicer wouldn't you..?! :o)
Sorry - I didn't mean for the comment to come out in an uncaring way - I also didn't mean to post anonymously but I'll leave it that way now seeing as you've shouted at me ;-)
I have CF and I've had cancer and they are both cruel and frightening diseases. But everyone in the UK knows about cancer tho there are still lots who know nothing or very little about CF. Sad but true.
And really sorry you're having a crappy time of it, I hope things improve for you. next time I leave a comment I'll leave myself more time and explain myself properly.
Don't worry about it, i'm probably way too snappy at the moment! I wasn't shouting honest :o)
Having CF and cancer.... well thats the worst of all! Hope you're doing ok xx
If I had only known what happened today gemma maybe my comments would av been different, u shouldn't carry the burden. Love u lots but understand n would do anything to help xxxx
Post a Comment