The nurse was supposed to come see me today at 12, she came at 10am. I do remember hearing my house phone ring when I was in bed but I ignored it. It was the hospital asking if she could come early, they also left me a voicemail on my mobile which I only just turned on about an hour ago (I am terrible at remembering to turn it on!). Anyway it didn't matter, it just meant I was still in my PJ's and I hadn't had chance to vacuum up. The nurse said she had gone to see someone else and they had forgotten she was coming and gone to work, so she was ahead of schedule.
The scales said my weight was 43kg, I was like 'what?!', but she gave them a kick and then they read 56.1kg (good old nhs equipment). I'm surprised I haven't put weight on because I have been eating loads the past few days! My sats were 98%.
Then it was time for the needle change. It wasn't as crusty as I expected but was still pretty manky, she took the needle out and gave it a good clean and god it made it itch sooo bad!! I got told off for trying to pick it a few times and then she went to put the new needle in and missed my port! argh! I knew something was wrong when she said 'Gemma does that feel OK?' no it didnt but it always stings... so anyway I turned to look and only the tip of the needle was in my arm, she was hitting the outside of the port and it wouldn't go in any further, thank god because if they miss the port and stick the whole needle in your arm, it is bloody painful! So she took it out and there was blood dribbling down my arm. I had to move around abit so she could get a better grip and get the needle in properly then she cleaned up the blood. She was very apologetic, its the first time she has ever missed so I wasn't too bothered, it stung for about an hour afterwards though. I now have dermafilm dressing on again and some gauze as I definitely think its the needle causing the problems, so I have some gauze stopping the needle touching my skin, plus I can't see whats happening and so are not tempted to itch it.
Today I have done nothing, I actually went back to sleep after the nurse had gone and then I've just been sat around watching TV. I'm really tired, I can barely remember doing my drugs at 7 this morning, I think I must have done them half asleep!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
I always feel bad for the nurses when they miss. I hope your skin gets better and you get some more energy. IVs wipe me out too.
xxxx
thanks for the curry last night XX
Why didnt I get a curry from u?
Why not take the needle out urself? I know its in ur arm, but it must be doable from there isnt it? Then u can have a proper shower etc before its due replacement !
Post a Comment