Friday, 11 July 2008

models with disabilities

Well we didn't end up going for a drink last night as my friend has a cold and didn't feel too good, so we decided to cancel since i'd seen my other friend already that day.

So instead I watched that programme about ladies with disabilities trying to become models. It's quite good but i've decided I don't really like the girl that uses a wheelchair, shes very bitchy, she was bitching about another girl who is deaf when she was in the car with her! She seems to think her disability is worse than everyone elses, she compared hiring a model that was deaf with hiring a model that spoke french! Erm no I don't think so! I don't know what it's like being deaf but it must be horrible, you have to lip read which must be exhausting if theres a group of people, people cannot understand you until they get to know you, you can't go to the cinema (unless you go to a subtitled showing and there are only a few ), you can't listen to music and many more things! This woman in the wheelchair says you can't even see most of the girls disabilities in the photos and it should be someone with a seen disability, well if you take her out of the wheelchair and plonk her in a chair you can't see hers either! I think she is very narrow minded, yes its horrible having to use a wheelchair but their disabilities are just as bad so she shouldn't be going around on her high horse bitching about them all.

I get this all the time when I park in disabled spaces, funny looks because i'm not old or don't have one leg longer than the other therefore I cannot be disabled. There are loads of disabilities that cannot be seen and i'm not going to go around looking in pain or tired all the time so I 'look' disabled, I just get on with it (well ok, sometimes I have a good moan). People are so judgemental about things they don't have a clue about, and then others think it's their right to just park in disabled space because no other spaces are available or their car is so big they cannot get it into a normal space.

Anyway....back to the programme, it's very entertaining!! I think it's good to raise awareness and show disabled people are normal and for example can be bitches too!! I don't know if they will be able to make it as models, some of them are gorgeous but the model industry is horrible to everyone anyway and I imagine will not make reasonable adjustments for them so just not hire them, I know this is against the DDA but they could just claim they 'weren't right for the shoot'. Isn't modelling about perfection anyway? Aren't they supposed to be these people we envy because they are perfect and thats how they sell the products? So perhaps a person with an unseen disability would be better, they can still portray this to the camera but have a disability to be a role model.





I could not get to sleep last night, my chest felt tight and I was coughing loads, but a dry cough not a productive one which makes me think its the tobi that I started yesterday thats causing it. Same this morning and most of today especially when outside (its the cold that does it)

Organised getting incapacity benefit today, my mum had to call as she is registered as my carer. I'm not happy i'm having to claim these benefits but if it means I have time to try get better than thats a good thing. I hope I qualify!

Went shopping to Asda, i was pi**ing it down, no disabled spaces left so had to park further away. Coughing my guts up because I ran inside and got drenched when loading the shopping into my car since a bag broke and jars went everywhere including on my toe. I actually took some bags with me today to try be environmentally friendly, so trust the only carrier bag I had to use to rip on me! Unloading the shopping was horrible, walking up and down the stairs makes me so breathless and warm! Then unpacking it, there was loads of rotten veg in the fridge so I had to empty it and then empty the bin (have to walk up the stairs again), I felt like it was never ending!! Finally I finished and had a chocolate donut to make up for it :o)

Our house insurance is due for renewal so I've spent ages looking for quotes, goodness its so confusing! I've been using those comparison sites but how am I supposed to know what locks my doors have? just normal ones! I looked them up anyway and think I have an idea now! Some guy just called me but I was having my tea so he is calling back later, I prefer to look at things on the Internet though so I can take it at my own pace, they always rush you on the phone and catch you out!

Pete is at the rugby tonight so i'm going to watch a film called dirty pretty things that i've borrowed off my mum, I bought some popcorn to have with it. How exciting!!

No comments: