Monday, 5 January 2009

Outpatients

Had an outpatients appointment today. Weight is 56.5kg, sats 98%. All good so far... fev1 45%, can't believe it, I'm gutted, totally gutted. The doctors seem to think it is still good because my highest fev1's last year were 45% apart from my 'fluke' 52% as they called it! Well I don't think it's good, I'm pissed off even though I knew really that they would be lower. I'm wheezy, coughing loads up, lethargic and my lungs feel sore. You may wonder how lungs can feel sore? Well they do! If you have nice lungs that don't like to try and kill you then you probably won't understand how a lung can be sore! They feel all delicate and when I cough and stuff I feel like they are throbbing, like when you have a headache. So anyway I am going on some IV's.

The doctor asked me what IV's I wanted. This is new to me! I was like 'erm some that work rather than the crappy one's you keep giving me'. We concluded I am going to go on tobramycin and meropenem, this is a new antibiotic to me so we will see how it goes. You have to make it up yourself (it doesn't come ready made in an eclipse) which I don't like the sound of.....but if it works I don't care! I managed to negotiate when I will start my IV's. You see I'm going out on Saturday with all my friends and it's going to be brilliant, I've even got a new dress (although I need to get it in a smaller size so I hope they have it!). So I can't be cancelling that because of something so silly like IV's! So I am starting my IV's next week, can't wait...... I just hope on this night out that people bear in mind I am ill enough to require IV's and don't make me walk around outside in the freezing cold for long periods of time!

I also spoke to the physio about my hunching shoulders that I have become paranoid about, plus my shoulder is starting to hurt because of it. She says it is normal for people in cf to have hunched shoulders and I'll never get rid of it totally but she did suggest when I do my acapella (because I think the acapella has made it worse) to sit with a rolled towel in between my shoulders and this will make me sit correctly and put my shoulders back and loosen my muscles so it doesn't hurt to pull my shoulders back. So I will give that a go. I also told her my never ending disk on my i-neb has run out.... guess it's not never ending! Stupid i-nebs need a disk in them to work and the disks usually only have so many goes and then they run out and you need a new disk. Well I managed to get a never ending disk when I took part in a study but sadly the disk decided it would cease to be never-ending on New Years day, the physio said it has happened to everyone. I have a load of spare disks hidden away anyway, once they run out she says to let her know and she will get the company to post me one each month. I did ask if she could smuggle me another never ending disk, but apparently not. Damn it!

Lungs are freaking me out at the moment (yes you read that right...!). I had some weird dream on Friday night about lungs, lung transplants or something, I can't really remember. But now I'm freaked out, I keep thinking about what it feels like to have someone else's lungs as your own and it's freaking me out! I don't mean to offend anyone who has had a transplant or is waiting for one, but whatever I dreamt has seriously messed with my head. I even had some sunblushed tomatoes in a sandwich and they looked like little slimy lungs so I couldn't eat them. What the heck it wrong with me? The tomato thing even makes me laugh at how stupid I am when I think about it, but at the time it totally grossed me out! Why am I even dreaming about this stuff?!

8 comments:

Jo said...

I'm soooo jealous of your weight lol. Your lung function is still good hun but it is kind mind boggling when they drop:(. I think iv's is a good idea if your feeling abit pants i seem to be avoiding them at this moment in time as i keep switching my neb drugs every few weeks.

Yes meropnuem not coming mixed is a pain in the bum. that's why i hated having it cos of the mixing argh! it's not to bad though just when your tired it gets annoying. hope mero makes you feel better though.

The lungs pain thing oh my god i'm with you after lot's of coughing they just bloody ache like hell it's not nice. have you tried popping a hot water bottle under your armpit so it sits on the side of the chest that helps me. or a nice hot bath.

Lol bless you and your dream about tranplants i had a dream about it ages a go. I feel kinda the same about the having someone else's lungs it is a strange feeling when you think about it. How would it feel? hopefully i'll find out soon and so will victoria.
tomatoes are yucky anyway ergh! lol Take it easy on saturday hun and have fun xx

Tori said...

I'm alergic to meropenum it makes me swell up and have little piggy eyes :)

I used to have those constant thoughts about having someone elses lungs in my body too I think I wrote a post on it in my live journal for friends only, I'm going to hunt it out and post it for you. The fear and the thoughts subside a little when the time comes for you to need it.

Chantelle said...

i had a dream last night about my mickey button, i was dreaming connor had pulled it out and it closed up right away and i was getting upset coz i didnt want to have to have the op again lol when i woke up i had to look to see if it was still there!!!

i was at about 52kg on 10th dec and i have only done about 3 feeds since then :s so i hope im still around the same, i dont feel thin....im still fat lol so hope i have not lost it.

sorry talking about stuff that isnt even in your blog lol
anyway yes i think i.v's are good, i cant have meropnuem, it dont like me lol

x

Lizzie Swims said...

Aww sorry to hear you've got to go on iv's but at least you managed to avoid xmas :-)
I've only ever had meropenem once and i remember it made me feel very very good, unfortunately i had an extrememly rare reaction to it in the last few days so can't have it again, but i'm sure you'll be fine. I can't believe you havent been offered it before with your lung function and the amount you have iv's? I don't think people should ever just rely on one drug!
Hope the iv's go well. And welcome to my world of making them up hehe.
xxx

Jac said...

I am allergic to mero but pre tx they started giving me it with steroid cover...and it was amazing! Best I had felt in ages, so hope it does the trick for you and the lung function shoots back up!!

Not much I can say about the dream..very odd! There has been a lot of tx chat on the boards, so maybe that made you think about it more. Strangely enough I have not found it weird having someone else's lungs - I just think of them as my own now...

Joe said...

Ah god the transplant dream!.. I had that sort of thing right after I had my transplant, I kept having dreams.. or should i say 'nightmares' that the doctors cut me open while i was awake took out my heart and then chopped it up on a chopping board while I watched.

this started happening after they told me that they had donated my heart and the valves had be taken apart and used to help a few people.
It is still pretty wierd to think someone has a bit of MY heart in them.. I don't really think about me haveing someone elses heart and lungs but the fact that I'm still alive and yet a bunch of other people are using my heart is kinda mind boggling.

Anonymous said...

gemma if you are still feeling out of sorts on saturday wear a warm jacket. your health is more important than your street cred and i am sure your friends will understand , if they dont so what.

Gemma's mum said...

Gemma the dreams are your mind working overtime, try to ignore them, I know its hard, think positive have you ever heard anyones dreams coming true????? its the opposite.

Make sure you keep warm on Saturday so you can enjoy to the full, wear a vest lol x